We want to turn London waste into an opportunity – by reducing waste, reusing and recycling more of it and turning what’s left into low carbon energy. This will also help London to manage more of its waste locally, save Londoners money on disposal costs, generate local green jobs, and reduce CO2 emissions.
Waste and performance
What we’re doing to help local authorities, Londoners and businesses to reduce, reuse and recycle:
- helping Londoners to make their local communities a cleaner and more pleasant place to live through Capital Clean Up
- supporting new waste infrastructure in London and helping local authorities deliver cost effective recycling collection services. See London Waste and Recycling Board’s investment fund and learn about Resource London
- helping London’s food businesses reduce waste and save money through Foodsave
- inspiring a biodiesel revolution – helping to turn London’s used cooking oil, and fats oils and greases (FOGs) into fuel to power London’s buses and municipal fleet
- delivering a policy framework with local authorities and business, and accelerating the transition to a Circular Economy through all Mayoral strategies and the London Infrastructure Plan
- supporting local authorities to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions generated from local authority collected waste through the Emissions Performance Standard. The latest annual review is now published.
You can see London’s waste performance on the Data Store, simply search ’waste’.