Commuting like cattle: Overcrowding on public transport
A new survey has revealed that the majority of Londoners think the worst thing about travelling on public transport is that it is too busy and overcrowded.
The London Assembly Transport Committee is currently investigating the current state and future of London’s transport system. During its investigation, the Committee commissioned a survey from YouGov PLC asking Londoners about how often they travel and what they dislike the most about using public transport.
When asked what they most dislike about travelling by public transport in London:
- 52% of Londoners cited overcrowding
- 38% said public transport is too hot
- 24% said it is too expensive
Chair of the London Assembly Transport Committee, Florence Eshalomi, said:
“London’s population is expected to grow from 9.1million now to 10.8 million by 2041. However, our research shows that the transport system is already struggling to cope with the number of people in London today.
“It is not enough to have a network that can take Londoners across this large city. Londoners do not deserve to feel as if they are traveling like cattle in packed buses and train carriages.
“Transport for London and the Mayor must bear in mind all the factors that contribute to a good and reliable public transport service for any new, as well as existing, transport projects. It is not only the availability of a service, but also the customers’ experience of it that matters, and we will continue investigating ways in which London needs to improve in this area.”
Notes to editors
- Full survey results can be seen here.
-  Figures from London Datastore
- Florence Eshalomi AM, Chair of the Transport Committee, is available for interview – see contact details below.
- London Assembly Transport Committee.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
- All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 1,019 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 22nd - 25th July 2019. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all London adults (aged 18+).
For media enquiries, please contact Funmi Olutoye on 020 7084 2713. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.