The Environment Committee examines all aspects of the capital’s environment by reviewing the Mayor’s strategies on air quality, water, waste, climate change and energy. The committee looks at what additional measures could be taken to help improve the quality of life for Londoners and investigates topics ranging from airport expansion and burst water mains, to noise from the Night Tube and the environmental impacts of plastic water bottles.
The Committee is investigating single use plastics in London and unflushable items, such as wet wipes, period products and nappies.
Air pollution in London
The Committee continues to add to its extensive body of work around the topic of air pollution.
- Wrote to all London MPs urging them to vote against Heathrow expansion at the Commons vote on the Government's final National Policy Statement on Heathrow
- Published a report on electric vehicles in London, Electric Vehicles
- Wrote to Thames Water about their Water Resources Management Plan.
- Compiled a report on how London manages its waste, Wasting London's future
- Revealed how London sets fire to more than half its waste in the report, Waste: Energy from Waste
- Highlighted the importance of increasing London's housing recycling levels in a report, 'Waste: Household recycling'
- Letter to London MPs on voting against Heathrow expansion - 21 June 2018
- Electric Vehicles - 24 May 2018
- Letter to Thames Water on their Water Resources Management Plan - 26 March 2018
- Wasting London's future - 21 March 2018
- Waste: Energy from Waste - 15 February 2018
- Waste: Household recycling - 21 December 2017
- Updated response to the draft Aviation National Policy - December 2017
- Waste: The Circular Economy - 21 September 2017
Feedback and news coverage
In the news
- London must 'take charge' of EV infrastructure, report finds - Environmental Journal
- The burning truth: Official figures show that 40% of waste is incinerated instead of being recycled or sent to landfill - Daily Mail
- England poised to burn more rubbish than it recycles - The Times
- Cooper attacks London Mayor over recycling rates - Lets Recycle
Contact the Environment Committee
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Committee please contact:
Communications Officer - Media:
020 7983 4067
If you have a query about the Committee and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Manager - Ian Williamson, [email protected], 020 7983 6541
Committee Officer - Clare Bryant, [email protected], 020 7983 4616
To speak to the Mayor's Office about environmental issues, please contact: 020 7983 4000