Mayor celebrates capital’s volunteering stars
- Anneka Rice, Thomasina Miers, Wayne Hemingway, Ledley King and Kevin Alderton at Team London Awards recognising volunteers’ efforts to improve life in the capital
- 26 awards presented to London’s most philanthropic individuals, teams, schools and organisations
- Team London celebrates supporting 100,000 Londoners to undertake volunteering since 2012 Games
- Paige Maye-Lubrano from Southwark who at just 17 years of age has already given four years and almost 1,200 hours of service to the Air Cadets.
- Hilda Lyons who established the Redbridge Dippers in 1977 and has worked tirelessly to teach people of all ages, with physical disabilities or learning difficulties, to swim with many of her students going on to take part in local and national swimming competitions.
- Nightstop London, whose volunteer hosts provide emergency accommodation for young homeless people aged 16-25 years in their spare bedrooms.
Notes to editors
1. Team London is the Mayor of London's ambitious programme to mobilise an army of volunteers across the capital. The aim is to improve life in London through programmes that will reduce crime, increase opportunities for youth and improve quality of life by cleaning and greening London and building stronger neighbourhoods. Team London promotes volunteering opportunities for over 1,400 organisations. For information about volunteering opportunities in London, please go to http://volunteerteam.london.gov.uk @teamLDN