News from Len Duvall: Local Assembly Member urges Council to reject Woolwich tower proposal
Calls have been made by local London Assembly Member, Len Duvall AM, for Greenwich Council to scrap plans for a 27-storey tower to be built in Woolwich Town Centre. This comes after planning officers made recommendations that the next stage of the planning application for the scheme should be rejected.
Concerns have been raised about the potential impact of the tower on the local skyline, due its height, scale and density.
The tower has been designed by Formation Architects as the centrepiece of a development comprising four mixed-used buildings proposed to transform Woolwich Central.
The decision on whether to grant planning permission for the next phase of the scheme was previously deferred from March 2018 due to the threat of legal action from the developer, Meyer Homes.
The fate of the tower will now be confirmed at the next Greenwich Council Planning Board meeting which is due to take place on 21st November.
Local London Assembly Member, Len Duvall AM, said:
“I support the recommendations made by planning officers to refuse plans for the next stage of this development.
“It is clear that the height and scale of the tower block is too large, out of keeping with the local area and will also overshadow General Gordon Square, which already works well for local people as an open space.
“If the development is granted permission to proceed, the amount of social housing that the developers are currently planning to allocate would be wholly inadequate, when we are facing an acute housing crisis in our community and across the capital.
“This is why I want the Planning Board to reject the application next week and work to ensure that there is new plan for Woolwich Central which gives the local community the town centre it deserves.”
Notes to editors
- Greenwich Council Planning Board’s recommendations from March 2018 are now available online, and can be viewed here;
- According to local blogsite ‘853 London’, the decision on whether to grant planning permission for the next phase of the scheme was previously deferred from March 2018 due the threat of legal action from the developer, Meyer Homes;
- An agenda for the next Greenwich Council Planning Board meeting can be found here;
- More information about the development can be found here;
- Len Duvall AM is the London Assembly Member for Greenwich and Woolwich.