Celebrate the Sikh New Year in style in Trafalgar Square
Event: Vaisakhi Festival
Date: Sunday 6 May 2012
Time: 12pm – 6.00pm
Venue: Trafalgar Square
Entry: FREE – ALL WELCOME
More info: www.molpresents.com/vaisakhi
Live Bhangra music and great entertainment will be on offer in Trafalgar Square on Sunday 6th May for a special celebration of the Sikh New Year, the tenth anniversary of the festival coming to London.
The festival regularly attracts upwards of 30,000 people, including Sikhs, the wider Asian community, Londoners and visitors. Vaisakhi is the holiest day in the Sikh calendar and Sikhs around the world will be celebrating. The Sikh religion preaches equality and respect for all religions, personified by the Sikh Gurdwaras which are open to all. This vibrant community has become an integral part of the fabric of both London and the UK.
A fusion of traditional and modern musicians will perform live during the afternoon, as well as guest artists and DJs from Sunrise Radio. There will be performances from many artists, including H-Dhami, Romy Shay, Kiran Dhanoa, Abbas Hasan and Sham.
The Vaisakhi festival is one of a myriad of events that make this city truly unique. It provides a wonderful opportunity for those not familiar with Sikh traditions to come along and embrace the wonderful Sikh culture. It’s an event for all to enjoy, and gives us yet another excuse to get up and dance in celebration of our Olympic year.
Everyone is welcome to attend the free afternoon event, which is organised by Sunrise Radio and the Greater London Authority and sponsored by Lycamobile.
Notes to editors
- Vaisakhi, the Sikh New Year, is the holiest day of the calendar for Sikhs worldwide. On this day in 1699, Sikhism was born as a collective faith. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the 10th Master of the Sikhs, initiated the Sikhs as the Khalsa or the pure and sincere. He bound the Sikhs to a strict code of conduct and, with unshorn hair, beard and turban, gave the Sikhs a distinct identity. Additional information can be found at www.molpresents.com/vaisakhi
- Vaisakhi on the Square is one of many highlights in this year's huge programme of free events and celebrations, which across the capital will add to the excitement for 2012. Other events include Secrets, with artists and performers transforming hidden and lesser known locations; Showtime, London's largest ever outdoor arts festival in high streets, parks and open spaces around the capital; and BT London Live, bringing live action from the Games, as well as sporting activities and entertainment to Hyde Park, Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square. For more information sign up or follow us at www.molpresents.com / www.facebook.com/mayoroflondonpresents / www.twitter.com/molpresents.
- Lycamobile are sponsors of this year's event. For more information about Lycamobile, please visit: www.lycamobile.co.uk
- The artist line up on the day includes:
- Romy Shay
- Kiran Dhanoa
- Abbas Hasan
- Panjabi Hit Squad
- Jasjot Singh
- Navin Kundra
- Tarli Digital
- Asli Bahara Punjab Diya dance group
- The Phat Kat Koalition feat. Sonia Panesar, Pritraj, Mehi & Beats Evolution.