Mayor and L&Q to invest £500m in Barking Riverside
Barking Riverside, one of the UK’s largest regeneration projects, is to receive an injection of £500 million for transport links, parkland and other community facilities, alongside almost 11,000 homes.
The landmark investment has been agreed by the Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and L&Q, one of the UK’s leading housing associations and developers, who formed a partnership – Barking Riverside Limited – to deliver the masterplan for the scheme.
As well as almost 11,000 new homes, half of which will be affordable housing, funding has also been secured for:
- A new TfL Overground station connecting to central London in 22 minutes
- Land for seven schools including five primaries, one secondary, and one for special educational needs
- A new centre with 65,000 square metres of commercial, retail and leisure space
- A 2 km riverside walkway, an ecology centre and new country park space
- A combined health care and leisure facility
- A cycling hub
- Two local retail and dining hubs Employment, skills and training that will ensure locals benefit from the opportunities created by the scheme.