Statement from the Assembly on the Mayor’s electric vehicles taskforce
Responding to the Mayor’s announcement that he will be setting up an electric vehicles taskforce, Caroline Russell AM, Chair of the London Assembly Environment Committee, said:
"The Environment Committee recently published its report into electric vehicles and we strongly called for a pan-London approach to electric vehicle charging points. It’s good to see the Mayor is moving towards this with a dedicated taskforce.
“There’s no point having an electric vehicle, if you can’t charge it! We want to see this taskforce working together to take real action to improve electric vehicle infrastructure in London.
“London’s filthy and polluted air needs to be tackled urgently and when a journey can’t be done by foot, bike or public transport, electric vehicles are the best option out there.”
“Our report made a series of recommendations and the Committee looks forward to scrutinising the taskforce’s shared Delivery Plan, which will be published next year.”
Notes to editors
- Mayor launches new taskforce to expand electric vehicle infrastructure
- Environment Committee Electric Vehicles report
- Caroline Russell AM, Chair of the Environment Committee, is available for interview – see contact details below.
- London Assembly Environment Committee.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Lisa Lam on 020 7983 4067. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.