Getting excluded children back in to school
In 2016/17 there were 980 permanent school exclusions and 37,790 fixed term exclusions in London. Many of these children end up in Alternative Provision - educational provision outside of mainstream and special needs schools
TBAP Multi-Academy Trust provides bespoke programmes to support learners in addressing negative patterns of behaviour in order to return to their mainstream schools.
The London Assembly Education Panel will tomorrow visit Westminster Education Centre and Golborne Education Centre, two TBAP Intervention centres, for a unique insight into how they prepare excluded young people to go back into mainstream education.
The visit will include a tour of the facilities, discussions with the teachers to hear the challenges they face and also with the students to see how they have progressed since entering the centre.
Location: TBAP Intervention Centre -
Time: 10.30am – 12.00pm
Address: Westminster Education Centre, 3-7 Third Avenue, London, W10 4RU
Travel: Westbourne Park station (Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines) then 13 min walk.
MEDIA ARE INVITED TO THE SITE VISIT UPON PRIOR ARRANGEMENT
- Ruth Browne, Executive Head of Commissioning & School Support
- Lauren Gunner, Lead Teacher for the Westminster Centre
- Peter Fellows, Lead Teacher for the Goldborne Centre
Follow us @LondonAssembly and take part in the discussion using #AssemblyEdu and #SchoolExclusions
Notes to editors
- Getting Behind Secondary School Exclusions Statistics – a summary of the Education Panel’s work on exclusions
- Jennette Arnold OBE AM, Chair of the Education Panel, is available for interview – see contact details below.
- Learner case studies are available to interview on site
- London Assembly Education Panel
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Funmi Olutoye on 020 7084 2713. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.