The Education Panel’s role is to review and investigate the development and delivery of the Mayor’s education policies.
Looked at how London will meet the growing demand for school places for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) over the next ten years, and assessed the changes introduced through The Children and Families Act 2014.
Examined the impact of the Area Review on the Further Education (FE) sector in London, which made recommendations including nine mergers which will affect over 20 colleges across the capital.
- Explored what the Mayor’s role should be in the rapidly changing schools landscape and assessed how the sector is coping with current challenges, such as the need for over 47,000 new secondary places in the next five years and the risk of losing funding under a proposed new Funding Formula.
- Investigated the current and future state of London’s FE sector and, recognising that the start of the new mayoralty marked a pivotal moment for the sector, wrote an open letter to the incoming Mayor.
- Highlighted the school places crisis in London and made practical recommendations to tackle the issue, all of which were accepted by the Mayor and implemented.
Special needs education in London
The Education Panel is examining the challenges to providing access to SEND provision in London, including the specific capacity and funding issues facing the capital in the future.
The Panel will identify what role the Mayor can play in helping to provide adequate SEND provision to London’s growing school age population.
Feedback and news coverage
In the news
- Justine Greening warned against fresh raid on London's school budgets - Evening Standard
- Experts set to meet and discuss London’s school teacher shortage - Bexley Times
- Staying at the top of the class - MayorWatch
Contact the Education Panel
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Panel please contact:
020 7983 4067
If you have a query about the Panel and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Team Manager - Richard Derecki, [email protected], 020 7983 4899
Committee Assistant - Laura Francis, [email protected], 020 7983 4383
To speak to the Mayor's Office about Education, please contact: 020 7983 4000