The Education Panel’s role is to review and investigate the development and delivery of the Mayor’s education policies.
- Examined the impact of the Area Review on the Further Education (FE) sector in London, which made recommendations including nine mergers which will affect over 20 colleges across the capital.
- Explored what the Mayor’s role should be in the rapidly changing schools landscape and assessed how the sector is coping with current challenges, such as the need for over 47,000 new secondary places in the next five years and the risk of losing funding under a proposed new Funding Formula.
- Investigated the current and future state of London’s FE sector and, recognising that the start of the new mayoralty marked a pivotal moment for the sector, wrote an open letter to the incoming Mayor.
- Assessed the success of the Mayor's Education Programme from 2012-16 and examined if it demonstrated value for money. The Programme included a London Schools Excellence Fund (LSEF) of £20 million from the Department for Education and £4.25 million from the Greater London Authority.
- Highlighted the school places crisis in London and made practical recommendations to tackle the issue, all of which were accepted by the Mayor and implemented.
Feedback and news coverage
In the news
- A farewell message From Jennette Arnold AM OBE – current Chair of the London Assembly - MayorWatch
- London colleges in spotlight as two top mayoral candidates battle for budget - FE Week
- Regional commissioners branded a 'nonsense' – Times Educational Supplement
Contact the Education Panel
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Panel please contact:
External Relations Officer:
020 7983 4603
If you have a query about the Panel and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Team Manager - Richard Derecki, [email protected], 020 7983 4899
Committee Assistant- Laura Francis, [email protected], 020 7983 4383
To speak to the Mayor's Office about Education, please contact: 020 7983 4000