Travelling like cattle or commuting with ease?
London’s population is approximately 9.1 million and is forecast to grow to 10.8 million by 2041. This translates to about 6 million additional trips each day by the same year.
Working patterns, lifestyles, consumer habits and technology all impact the transport system and how Londoners use it. Challenges will include:
- Reducing carbon emissions
- Unlocking housing and economic growth
- Improving public health
How will London’s transport system cope? What transport infrastructure projects should be prioritised in the future? Can they be delivered? How will they be funded?
Tomorrow, the London Assembly Transport Committee will look at how London’s transport system will need to adapt to future constraints and help address challenges facing the capital.
The guests are:
- Lucinda Turner, Director of Strategic Planning, TfL
- Simon Nielsen, Head of Strategic Analysis, TfL
- Nicole Badstuber, Research Associate in Urban Infrastructure Policy and Governance, University of Cambridge
- Silviya Barrett, Research Manager, Centre for London
- John Dickie, Director of Policy and Strategy, London First
The meeting will take place on Wednesday, 10 July 2019 at 10:00am in The Chamber (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1).
Media and members of the public are invited to attend
The meeting can also be viewed LIVE via webcast
Follow us @LondonAssembly and take part in the meeting discussion using #AssemblyTransport and #FutureLDNTransport.
Notes to editors
- Full agenda papers
- Florence Eshalomi AM, Chair of the Transport Committee, is available for interview – see contact details below.
- London Assembly Transport Committee.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Funmi Olutoye on 020 7084 2713. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.