OPDC review update and the future of regeneration funds
In June 2016, the Mayor called for a review into the strategic direction and work of the Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation.
A report outlining a number of concerns was published in November. It found that a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) agreed by former Mayor Boris Johnson and the Government was hastily entered into and should have been agreed on more favourable terms.
Also critically, the positioning of a Crossrail depot within the site has meant that valuable land for development has been lost and land values for adjacent sites have decreased.
The London Assembly Regeneration Committee will tomorrow receive an update on the outcome of the review. The Committee will hear from:
- Fiona Fletcher-Smith, Executive Director – Development, Enterprise & Environment, GLA
From 3pm (approx.) the Committee will then discuss the Mayor’s regeneration funding programmes and the Mayor’s priorities for new funding programmes. The Committee will also discuss the implications of Brexit on EU funding for regeneration, alternative funding sources and how boroughs are preparing for possible shortfalls. The guests are:
- Debbie Jackson, Assistant Director - Regeneration, GLA
- Alex Conway, European Programmes Director, GLA
- Richard Simpson, Executive Director of Resources, LB Croydon
- Cath Shaw, Deputy Chief Executive, LB Barnet
The meeting will take place on Wednesday 7 December from 2:30pm in Committee Room 5 at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1). Media and members of the public are invited to attend.
The meeting can also be viewed via webcast.
Follow us @LondonAssembly and take part in the discussion using #AssemblyRegeneration, #OPDC and #RegenFunds.
Notes to editors
- Full agenda papers.
- Navin Shah AM, Chair of the Regeneration Committee is available for interview – please see contact details below.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Lisa Lam on 020 7983 4067. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.