London Assembly statement on Heathrow expansion decision
The London Assembly has responded to today’s decision by the Government to expand Heathrow airport.
Tony Arbour AM, Chairman of the London Assembly said:
“We are appalled that the Government has decided to give the green light to expansion at Heathrow, despite the vast body of evidence to indicate this will expose Londoners to higher levels of deadly air pollution, intolerable noise and overwhelming congestion. Also, the need for investment in public transport access for passengers and staff will be substantial in order to keep London’s transport network working. The Government has not yet provided nearly enough clarity on whether this investment will be delivered.
The London Assembly has been opposed to Heathrow expansion since 2005 and we have carried out extensive work on the topic. Rest assured, we will continue to monitor air and noise pollution levels and other environmental impacts following today’s outcome.”
Past work from the London Assembly on airport expansion:
- Letter to Secretary of State for Transport following the publication of the final report from the Airports Commission – Transport Committee, 20 November 2015.
- Response to the national Air Quality Plan consultation – Environment Committee, 9 November 2015.
- Response to the Airports Commission consultation on the air quality assessment for its shortlisted runway options - Environment Committee, 29 May 2015.
- Letter to the Airports Commission on the establishment of an independent noise regulator – Transport and Environment Committees, 29 November 2013.
- Letter to the Airports Commission on the impacts of noise from Heathrow airport – Environment Committee, 5 September 2013.
- Letter to the Airports Commission on surface transport access at London airports – Transport Committee, 29 August 2013.
- Report: Airport capacity in London – Transport Committee, 29 April 2013.
- Response to the Government’s consultation on night flights at Heathrow – Health and Environment Committee, 12 April 2013.
- Aviation Policy Framework consultation response - Health and Environment Committee, 31 October 2012
- Tackling air and noise pollution around Heathrow – Environment Committee, 12 March 2012.
Notes to editors
- Tony Arbour AM, Chairman of the London Assembly, is available for interview – see contact details below.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Mary Dolan on 020 7983 4603. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.