Vaisakhi Festival 2017
Come and celebrate Sikh and Punjabi culture in Trafalgar Square.
After two years at City Hall and More London Riverside, Vaisakhi returns to the heart of central London to mark one of the most important events in the Sikh calendar.
With a Sikh steering group creating the programme once again, you can expect a community flavour to this year’s event. There’ll be something for people of all ages to enjoy.
The packed line-up includes:
- live performances
- kirtan (spiritual music)
- community groups and charities
- fun children’s activities
- turban tying
Watch Vasakhi 2016 highlights:
Vaisakhi at Trafalgar Square, Saturday 29 April, 12 – 6pm
|12pm-12.10pm||Welcome and introduction|
|12.10pm-1.10pm||Kirtan - Gurmat Sangeet Academy|
|1.15pm - 2,20pm||Kirtan - Qi Rattan|
|2.25pm - 2.35pm||Vaisakhi Talk|
|2.35pm - 2.50pm||Speeches|
|2.50pm - 3.05pm||Gatka - Baba Fateh Singh Gatka Akhara|
|3.10pm - 3.40pm||Dharmic music - Golden Roots|
|3.45pm - 4.00pm||Dharmic music - Amrit Kaur Lohia|
|4.05pm - 4.15pm||Spoken word poetry - Jaspreet Sangha|
|4.20pm - 4.35pm||Children's music performance - British Sikh School|
|4.40pm - 4.55pm||Gatka - Baba Fateh Singh Gatka Akhara|
|5.00pm - 5.20pm||Kirtan - Taran Kaur|
|5.25pm - 5.50pm||Kirtan - Kirit Singh|
|5.50pm - 6pm||Final words|
Please note times are approximate and may be subject to change.
Other activities on the Square:
- langar - free vegetarian food prepared and served by the Sikh community
- art exhibitions - Exhibitions by Sikh artists from around the world
- community organisations and charities - community organisations and charities from the Sikh community. Themes include: History, Education, Charities, Professional networks, Sikhs in Uniform and Social Welfare
- children's activities - Kiddie Sangat Arts and crafts activities to engage and educate young children on the Sikh faith and culture
- turban tying - Chardikala Turban Academy Visitors are welcome to have their turban tied and be educated on the meaning of the turban to Sikhs
- National Army Museum
- A little history of the Sikhs
- Basics of Sikhi
- Kundalini Yoga Teacher's Association
- Dharam Seva
- Khalsa Foundation
- Sikh 2 Inspire
- Billion Women
- Khalsa Aid
- Sikh Relief
- Sikh Aid
- United Sikhs
- Kalgidhar Trust
- The Sikh Network
- Faith Forum London
- British Sikh report
Sikhs in uniform:
- Ministry of Defence
- 1914 Sikhs and Anglo Sikh Heritage Trail
- British organisations of Sikh Doctors
- Jaskomal Foundation
Accessible facilities at Trafalgar Square:
There is a wheelchair accessible lift on the north-west corner of Trafalgar Square.
Event stewards will be available to assist wheelchair users travelling between upper (north terrace) and lower terrace levels of Trafalgar Square.
Wheelchair accessible public toilets are available on the lower terrace of Trafalgar Square. This is on the west side of the square to the left of the central staircase. These are open daily from 8am to 8pm. On event days the toilets are available free of charge.
Trafalgar Square’s cafe is wheelchair accessible, and has a low-level counter and induction loop. Free drinking water is available upon request in the cafe.
Additional accessible facilities for Vaisakhi:
All staff and stewards will be briefed on disability awareness.
The wheelchair accessible viewing area will be on the North Terrace, at the top of the central staircase. Some seating will be available for companions in the wheelchair viewing area, and for those less able to stand.
An area with hearing loop will be available near the stage. BSL signers will be on the stage to interpret the spoken word content.
Assistance dog welfare area will be available next to the lift, on the upper North Terrace on the west side.
On the north west corner of Trafalgar Square (on the upper terrace) a Mobiloo wheelchair accessible portable toilet will be provided.
The mobile toilet has a hoist and changing table. Mobiloo users needing to use the hoist must bring their own sling with them. This is for your own safety and convenience – and to prevent any cross-contamination between different users. Further details below and at on the Mobiloo website.
• autolift BBW 1350 Tail Lift with a 1.6 metre platform
• astor Bannerman Nivano CTB adjustable height changing table.
• Arjohuntleigh Maxi Sky 2 electric hoist, allowing access to all areas of the Mobiloo
• toilet with retractable grab rail to each side
• the Arjohuntleigh Maxi Sky 2 electric hoist has easily interchangeable spreader bars, allowing different types of sling to be used with the same hoist.
You can plan your journey with TfL’s Journey Planner.
The nearest railway station is Charing Cross. It is 325 metres away, approximately three minutes’ walk. Charing Cross rail station offers step-free access and a step-free route to Trafalgar Square.
The nearest Underground station with step-free access from platform to street level is Westminster. This is served by the Jubilee, District and Circle lines. Outside Westminster station buses 12, 24, 88 or 453 have low-floor buses which call at a stop within 150m of Trafalgar Square.
Charing Cross Underground station is served by the Northern and Bakerloo lines. It is the closest Tube station. However it does not have step-free access.
Visit the TfL website for accessible Tube maps.
Routes 3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176 and 453.
All these routes lead to Trafalgar Square. However, 9 and 15 are heritage buses and do not have a low-floor.
Visit the TfL website for more information on buses.
Find out about registering and pre-booking Dial-a-ride services.
The nearest Blue Badge parking spaces to Trafalgar Square are:
• St Martin’s Street – five spaces - 321 metres from Trafalgar Square
• Outside Canada House – one space - 33 metres from Trafalgar Square
• Suffolk Street – one space - 644 metres from Trafalgar Square
• Spring Gardens – one space - 321 metres from Trafalgar Square
To find other blue badge parking bays nearby, use the postcode WC2N 5DN and search the City of Westminster’s website.
To see where the bays are, click the ‘View results on a map’ button on the search results page.