The Housing Committee scrutinises the Mayor’s role and record in delivering the private, social and affordable homes London needs.
- Commissioned research into the growing phenomenon of property guardians in London and recommended ways to help protect property guardians.
- Looked into hidden homelessness in the capital.
- Compiled a report on TfL land and how it can be better utilised to deliver more homes in London.
You can watch previous Housing Committee webcasts here.
- Examining the Mayor’s draft housing strategy
The committee questioned the Deputy Mayor for Housing and Residential Development about the new draft housing strategy at its November meeting. We also heard from experts, industry voices and residents about their thoughts on the strategy. The committee will publish its response to the strategy shortly. Read the transcript and find further details on the meeting see here.
- Scrutinising the Mayor’s housing delivery record
The committee will use its December 2017 slot to scrutinise the Mayor’s delivery of affordable housing in London and ask how the GLA will deliver ambitious housing targets. For more information about this meeting see here.
- Investigating social housing governance
In response to issues raised by the Grenfell Tower fire, the Housing Committee will begin a broad piece of work looking at social housing governance in London, and the involvement of tenants. This will begin in February/March 2018.
- Protecting London's property guardian
- Housing Committee response to the Mayor's draft Housing Strategy
- Hidden homelessness in London
- Homes down the track - a marathon and a sprint for TfL - Report on how to make a better use of public land
- At Home with Nature - recommendations for the Mayor to ensure biodiversity while building houses
- Supported housing - report on current challenges facing supported housing in London
- Providing affordable homes for rent - letter to the Mayor about how to support the building of new affordable homes for rent in London
- Who can afford to live and study in London? - letter to the Mayor on student accommodation
- At Home with Renting: Improving security for London’s private renters - stabilising the private rented sector
Feedback and news coverage
In the news
Lack of support holds back community housing in London - New Start Magazine
Building a home for wildlife - London Wildlife Trust
London Assembly investigates Green Spaces in London - Barking Side 21
Looking at London's biodiversity - London Live
Contact the Housing Committee
If you have a media enquiry about the Housing Committee, please contact:
External Communications Officer
If you have a general query about this Committee and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Manager - Lorraine Ford, [email protected], 020 7983 4394
Committee Officer - Clare Bryant, [email protected], 020 7983 4616
If you have a query about the Mayor of London's housing work, please contact 020 7983 4000.