The Economy Committee scrutinises the work of the Mayor relating to economic development, wealth creation, social development, culture, sport and tourism in the capital. It also examines the Mayor’s role as chair of the London Economic Action Partnership (LEAP).
Self-employment and income volatility, Tuesday 20 November, 10am at City Hall
In the light of the roll-out of Universal Credit, the Economy Committee will be examining the difficulties faced by the self-employed and those on volatile incomes.
Experts from finance advice bodies will answer questions about the impact of new measures, including the Minimum Income Floor, and whether adequate support services are available for those managing on pay packets that can vary wildly week to week.
Questioning London & Partners, 30 October 2018
This meeting was part of the committee’s scrutiny on L&P’s performance, focussing on impact, value, and transparency at the Mayor's promotional company for London. At the end of the session, the Committee issued a rare summons for more information to help establish how L&P made its claims for success.
Examining the Draft Sport Strategy, 4 October 2018
The Mayor published Sport For All Of Us his draft Strategy for Sport in London, for consultation in March 2018. The committee put questions to Matthew Ryder, Deputy Mayor for Social Integration, Social Mobility and Community Engagement on the approach, high-level aims and objectives of the strategy.
Questioning LEAP, 12 September 2018
The LEAP is the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) for London. It plays a central role in determining local economic priorities and undertaking activities to drive economic growth and job creation. The meeting discussed the LEAP Board’s contribution to the Mayor’s wider economic agenda.
- Wrote to Deputy Mayor Matthew Ryder with a response to the draft Strategy for Sport - 19 October 2018
- Issued a summons to demand information from London & Partners
- Published a report What Works For Microbusiness - 30 August 2018
- Delivered a response to the Mayor's draft Culture Strategy - 18 June 2018
- Sent a letter to the Education Secretary on free childcare in London - 22 March 2018
- Published a response to the Mayor's draft Economic Development Strategy - 19 March 2018
In the news
- Microbusiness: Huge concerns - HR Director
- London & Partners ordered to hand over board papers and proof of performance claims amid transparency concerns - Mayorwatch
- Loss of local UK newspapers 'undermining democracy' - Financial Times
- The case for a more independent, post-Brexit London is gaining strength - The Guardian
Contact the Economy Committee
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Economy Committee please contact:
Communications Officer: Giles Broadbent, [email protected] 020 7983 4067
If you have a query about this Committee and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Manager: Carmen Musonda, [email protected], 0207 983 4351
Committee Officer: Clare Bryant, [email protected], 020 7983 4616
If you have a query about the Mayor's economic policy please call 020 7983 4100.