Organisation aims / mission / values
- Empower parents and support families in Southwark.
- Improve the health and development outcomes for young children in the area.
- Combat isolation and promote social integration.
- Break down any barriers that prevent families from accessing health and social services.
- Promote both physical and mental health, particularly maternal mental health.
Supporting families in Southwark
How we deliver these aimsWith a focus on community, we harness the power of parents, volunteers, educational and faith organisations, maternity services and children centers to develop workshops and activities that respond to our communities needs. We run a variety of weekly groups where children can play in a fun and stimulating environment and parents can build a network of support. We also work with Health Professionals such as Midwives and Health Visitors to offer clinical support and signpost parents to other services.
Who benefits from our workOur workshops focus on supporting parents and their preschool children, however, many of our parents have remained part of our community long after their children have attended school. While our groups are open to everyone, we engage several hard-to-reach communities who don't access health and social services. Many members of our community have experienced temporary accommodation, which can be crowded, unreliable, unsafe and can also be very emotionally draining and isolating. From a recent evaluation of our work, we found that 40% of the mothers who came to our Mumspace group were at the threshold of needing immediate mental health support, but after 6 months 68% had fully recovered.
See all our volunteering roles