London Environment Strategy consultation

Stage: Policy published

The draft London Environment Strategy was published for a 14-week public consultation between the 11 August and 17 November 2017.

Closed

892 Londoners have responded | 26/07/2017 - 17/11/2017

London Environment Strategy consultation

A 'National Park City'

User Image for
Added by Talk London

Up vote 0
Care 0

London is already one of the greenest cities in the world. There are over 8 million trees, plus numerous parks and gardens, and an increasing number of green roofs and walls. The Mayor wants to make London the world’s first ‘National Park City’ and has plans to make 50% of the city green so that Londoners can enjoy the natural environment and make more of our outdoor spaces.

What ideas do you have for increasing green spaces in London?

Summary

On 23 February 2018 it was announced that 21-29 July will be the first ever London National Park City Week. There’ll be events and activities throughout to celebrate the capital's unique green spaces, waterways and natural environment.

The discussion ran from 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017

Closed with follow up

Want to join our next discussion?

New here? Join Talk London, City Hall's online community where you can have your say on London's biggest issues.

Join Talk London

Already have an account?

Comments (106)

Up vote 0
Care 0

Convert 20% of London's roads to be traffic free. Tricky, but not impossible. These streets can be "greened" making a city wide network of pleasant walkable spaces. This will have significant positive impact on air quality and flood risk...

Show full comment

Convert 20% of London's roads to be traffic free. Tricky, but not impossible. These streets can be "greened" making a city wide network of pleasant walkable spaces. This will have significant positive impact on air quality and flood risk.

Encourage use of super small 1-2 man electric vehicles, with 15mph speed caps. Tax vehicles based on their space and weight - heavier vehicles damage roads more, and space is expensive in London.

Encourage regional depots for deliveries, with last mile delivery by cycle courier.

These measures, reduce the total vehicles on the road - creating space for greeness instead of parked cars. Some road space can be converted into growing space. Other road space can be used for larger communal recycling bins, instead of individual house hold bins. This will make individual front gardens prettier, and reduce bin collection costs for the council.

Instead of collecting garden waste and food waste and transporting it out of the city - create local compost points. Local gardening clubs will be more than happy to manage the composting process, and to use the compost or sell it locally. Currently, organic material is being trucked out of London, composted, and then trucked back in again.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Sadiq Khan does not care! He is only interested in building more and more and more and more! (to support his "business" aspirations).

Up vote 0
Care 0

Plant hedges in the roads. These can be used to separate cycle lanes from vehicles. The hedges will capture some of the low level emissions direct from the tail pipes. It will also increase soak way and help prevent puddles in the roads and...

Show full comment

Plant hedges in the roads. These can be used to separate cycle lanes from vehicles. The hedges will capture some of the low level emissions direct from the tail pipes. It will also increase soak way and help prevent puddles in the roads and flooding. It will also prevent pedestrians from stepping into the cycle lanes - as they'll have to go to specific places to cross the road.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

We also must remember the green spaces that are not 'parks', such as the designated nature reserves and SSSIs. These need experts in biodiversity and conservation to maintain them and ensure they provide for our wildlife, much of which is...

Show full comment

We also must remember the green spaces that are not 'parks', such as the designated nature reserves and SSSIs. These need experts in biodiversity and conservation to maintain them and ensure they provide for our wildlife, much of which is becoming rarer due to over development. Speaking as someone that lives in the London Borough of Sutton and is privileged to have a number of nature reserves on my doorstep, I am worried that the local council (and national government) are not doing enough to protect this. Cuts are being made across the council and I am aware that this could mean a reduction, if not total loss, of the current Biodiversity team.

As someone that has work in a London borough, I have seen first hand the loss of two borough biodiversity teams and the problems this can create. A biodiversity expert is needed to comment on planning applications; without this expertise all sorts of so called 'mitigation' gets through and not checked upon.

I personally think this is the most important of all the issues that need to be addressed in London, and the UK. By looking at and prioritising biodiversity a lot of the other issues will start to right themselves.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

I think not enough is being done to protect animals living in our parks and to encourage the biodiversity of park fauna. Park maintenance is often done in a way insensitive to the welfare of e.g. birds nesting or living there. New...

Show full comment

I think not enough is being done to protect animals living in our parks and to encourage the biodiversity of park fauna. Park maintenance is often done in a way insensitive to the welfare of e.g. birds nesting or living there. New developments are being approved with the assumption that ripping out old trees and replanting them 1-2 years later is somehow neutral for the natural environment. It isn't, because the birds will be scared away. E.d. such a development has been approved near my place of residence (a new lido in Shadwell Basin in Wapping) without concern for the welfare of birds living in the trees near the basin.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Sounds great. How about:

* Greening every roof on commercial buildings, public sector controlled buildings and any building over six storeys. Or if we are really going for it, anywhere that doesn't have a PV or solar-thermal installation...

Show full comment

Sounds great. How about:

* Greening every roof on commercial buildings, public sector controlled buildings and any building over six storeys. Or if we are really going for it, anywhere that doesn't have a PV or solar-thermal installation.
* Instigate localised human waster processing strategies to provide fertiliser for all these projects (and reduce pressure on the sewage system), there are some great TED talks around this.
* Planting native, naturalised and food bearing perennials shrubs/trees to maximise biodiversity benefit (not all plants help equally).
* Reduce mowing as a management strategy in parks and housing estates to increase biodiversity. E.g. leaving long grass in winter to provide habitat.
* Identifying unused ground held by central or local government bodies and provide training and support to create community food gardens (community, food, green spaces, triple win from unused ground with minimal investment). Ask for support from various London Transition movements.
* Favour fruit/nut trees and community market gardens over lawns in central or local government managed areas. Imagine (or calculate) the decrease in inbound road traffic if London produced 5% of its food locally. Checkout Ridgedale Permaculture on YouTube for an intensive, beyond organic, no-dig market gardens model suitable for our climate.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

What he said.

Up vote 0
Care 0

Stop developers from taking over common land and demolishing perfectly serviceable buildings, chopping down mature trees and building hundreds of huge luxury apartments no one can afford to buy, eg. Wimbledon Hill Park - aimed at the Dubai...

Show full comment

Stop developers from taking over common land and demolishing perfectly serviceable buildings, chopping down mature trees and building hundreds of huge luxury apartments no one can afford to buy, eg. Wimbledon Hill Park - aimed at the Dubai and Chinese markets, and the proposed demolition of Merton Hall, a beautiful Victorian public building on Merton Park which is public land.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

we need more greening. specifically Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS), such as rain gardens and tree pits. So much development just paves over the ground with a few token trees included. much more could be done.

Up vote 0
Care 0

The proposed “National City Park”, is a self-funded non administrative umbrella organisation with no statutory or development control powers. I cannot see what the problem is that it will solve.

47% of London is already green space...

Show full comment

The proposed “National City Park”, is a self-funded non administrative umbrella organisation with no statutory or development control powers. I cannot see what the problem is that it will solve.

47% of London is already green space, although much of it in inaccessible by the public. It is not clear by what means the Mayor proposes to support this initiative or how he will go about increasing the amount of green space (green roofs do not count as they are invariably inaccessible by the public). Successive GLA administrations have failed to grasp the nettle of connecting green infrastructure at a strategic level across London. A few extra pockets parks without links to other green spaces and green corridors are not the answer.

The NPC is not a viable solution to the existing problems faced by green space in London, although conceivably it may answer a different question i.e. how do we get Londoners better engaged in the debate about green infrastructure and more involved in its management. I do not support a National City Park for London as it will add no new powers to protect green space, duplicate the work of existing organisations and require considerable new funding for parks that are already at breaking point.

The total net annual cost of managing the publicly accessible green space in London is £200M+. The fragmented ownership of the land results in a huge duplication of effort at several levels.

The proposed NPC will not solve any of the above issues; in my view it is mere window dressing which politicians are happy to support as it does not commit them to resolving the real issues faced by those of us who manage and promote parks and green spaces with ever decreasing resources.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Further plans to destroy open green space: http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/-/media/lldc/planning/ppdt-d…

This appears to be exactly what the Mayor's environmental strategy is aiming...

Show full comment

Further plans to destroy open green space: http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/-/media/lldc/planning/ppdt-d…

This appears to be exactly what the Mayor's environmental strategy is aiming to prevent.

There are several alternative locations of existing, unused, tarmac land within the immediate area which would appear to be better suited for the proposed development. The destruction of an existing public green space in preference of vacant tarmac land is in direct conflict with the Mayor's environmental strategy.

I hope the Mayor's office will look in to this.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Sadiq khan says pollution causes 9000 premature deaths each year in London well according to this there are far more stabbings-what you gonna do about that, tax them £12.50 a day too like you want to in the ULEZ ? What a joke man ...https:/...

Show full comment

Sadiq khan says pollution causes 9000 premature deaths each year in London well according to this there are far more stabbings-what you gonna do about that, tax them £12.50 a day too like you want to in the ULEZ ? What a joke man ...https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/revealed-londons-worst-areas-for-…

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Sadiq! we need these bio air purifiers each one is equivalent to 275 trees, and removes 240 tonnes of CO2 per year!!!!

- They are cheap! at only £70 per tree equivalent, £9million could plant 127,380 trees equivalent in London!!!

Show full comment

Sadiq! we need these bio air purifiers each one is equivalent to 275 trees, and removes 240 tonnes of CO2 per year!!!!

- They are cheap! at only £70 per tree equivalent, £9million could plant 127,380 trees equivalent in London!!!

- They are small, and super space efficient

- They are low maintenance

http://interestingengineering.com/moss-covered-air-purifier-can-work-of…

https://greencitysolutions.de/en/

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

I'm still waiting for the trees promised in the original manifesto, meanwhile:

1. Since we're bad at food security, good to plant fruit trees and bushes in the appropriate public places. Make all the 'maintenance spend' produce something...

Show full comment

I'm still waiting for the trees promised in the original manifesto, meanwhile:

1. Since we're bad at food security, good to plant fruit trees and bushes in the appropriate public places. Make all the 'maintenance spend' produce something of value. Same for hedges etc.
2. Lots of trees to produce canopy (see Cours Mirabeau, Aix en Provence, for example) now that we have 'decided' to have global warming. This rather than the 'tree in a box' approach favoured by the the unimaginative controllers of the urban realm. No more private space either, ever.
3. Ivy and green walls whereever possible, see Forest Lane, Forest Gate for a good 'opportunity'. Ivy is posited by NASA as a pollution remedy.
4. Some space in the waste-of-space Olympic Park for allotments and fruit. Cost £12bn so provide a few actual benefits, rather than people running round and round. Actually, a little space 'stolen' for more allotments in every borough.
5. See depave.org for depaving, involve schools and housing associations who tarmac over to 'save money' and thereby create heat islands.
6. For the park itself. I was an early contributor but have dropped out because it is a formless middle class dream at present. However, I'd like to see 'connectors' cheap road bridges so that one can walk/cycle for miles without dealing with large busy roads.
7. Reduce parking by 3% per year (Norway, I think?)

That's all folks, not that any of this actually gets -listened to- does it!!!

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

A great idea. Marvellous. I am already wearing my "One Garden Bridge or Two Million Trees" T-shirt. Now that the Bridge has, mercifully, sunk, let's get on with the Two Million Trees! And while I'm on the subject, Thanks Sadiq. (And don't...

Show full comment

A great idea. Marvellous. I am already wearing my "One Garden Bridge or Two Million Trees" T-shirt. Now that the Bridge has, mercifully, sunk, let's get on with the Two Million Trees! And while I'm on the subject, Thanks Sadiq. (And don't listen to the Standard ever again.)

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

New developments seem to favour 'architect's trees' - little square ones in tubs... rather than plane trees...

That's disappointing in my opinion. The wilder the better.

Many towns in Germany have an area of 'wald', Tower Hamlets Cemetery...

Show full comment

New developments seem to favour 'architect's trees' - little square ones in tubs... rather than plane trees...

That's disappointing in my opinion. The wilder the better.

Many towns in Germany have an area of 'wald', Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is a good example in London.

Can anyone name any other places like than in London?

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Putney Old Cemetery, Lower Putney Common Old Cemetery, Putney and Wimbledon Commons ...

Up vote 0
Care 0

Is there any possibility to establish reed beds or other aquatic plants on the Thames?

Up vote 0
Care 0

These might be good people to ask http://www.thames21.org.uk/

Up vote 0
Care 0

Seriously? With all the new buildings? Do you mean you'll paint them green or what?

Up vote 0
Care 0

Thank you for all your ideas so far. Other ways of increasing green space include building more gardens and greening roofs, as some of you have already mentioned.

What do you think of these ideas?

Talk London

Up vote 0
Care 0

Great to have maximum green spaces which lead to better air, healthier Londoners and a more beautiful London. Gardeners and park maintainers must be congratulated on the quality of their plantings and green space maintenance down to the...

Show full comment

Great to have maximum green spaces which lead to better air, healthier Londoners and a more beautiful London. Gardeners and park maintainers must be congratulated on the quality of their plantings and green space maintenance down to the last detail

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

Greening roofs is a good idea but they should be accessible to all residents. Contact with green spaces are important to good physical and mental health, a problem that is costing the NHS dearly. It would therefore help to get the...

Show full comment

Greening roofs is a good idea but they should be accessible to all residents. Contact with green spaces are important to good physical and mental health, a problem that is costing the NHS dearly. It would therefore help to get the incentives right if the Mayor also took over the the overall running of NHS for London.

Show less of comment

Load more
Up vote 0
Care 0

I fully support a greener London like others on this post. However, it clearly seems that the London Mayor and his colleagues and others responsible for London exclude the outer London Borough when they refer to London. In Palmers Green...

Show full comment

I fully support a greener London like others on this post. However, it clearly seems that the London Mayor and his colleagues and others responsible for London exclude the outer London Borough when they refer to London. In Palmers Green there is a lack of Greenery despite the name of the area and no there are no Palm Trees either irrespective of the name of the area.

In Palmers Green there is the enormous North Circular and its busy, the Air and Noise Pollution is a tremendous concern, and yet there are no evergreen Trees and not seasonal planting with the exception of the Local Council spiny plants that die down in the Autumn and Winter as if Air and noise Pollution does not matter during those seasons, so the area is completely bare of Natures Green habitat. Along the North Circular are old and new properties, flats are build with front balconies and one wonders if it is for people of all ages to seat out and inhale the pollution?

If is for the tourists sake that greenery is concentrated far more on central London, well there is an oversight as many tourist chose to stay in outer London areas such as Palmers Green N13 because it is much more cheaper then a stay in central London.

Am I supposed to believe that those that are responsible for London really Love and Care for this city and its citizens. To really Love London is to embrace the whole City of London and not just Central London.

Show less of comment

Up vote 0
Care 0

So Finally Sadiq Khan wants to do what we the protesters against the ULEZ said all along PLANT MORE TREES MY GOD yet still goes the ULEZ unbelievable man unbelievable ha ha ...Talk about stealing someones ideas -AGAIN!

Up vote 0
Care 0

Similar to Bike Superhighways we need Green corridors in London: pedestrian, bike and zero emission (electric) cars only. These corridors would connect existing parks (Hyde, St James, etc) and allow to traverse London east-west and north...

Show full comment

Similar to Bike Superhighways we need Green corridors in London: pedestrian, bike and zero emission (electric) cars only. These corridors would connect existing parks (Hyde, St James, etc) and allow to traverse London east-west and north-south in complete green space

Show less of comment