The Health Committee reviews health and wellbeing issues for Londoners, particularly public health issues. It also keeps a close eye on how well the Mayor’s Health Inequalities Strategy is doing.
A social prescription for London
The Mayor has put social prescribing at the heart of his new Health Inequalities Strategy. Social prescribing is a way of doctors putting people in touch with community services and groups that can foster solutions without medication such as walks with dogs or social activities. The Health Committee is investigating the Mayor's plans
The London Ambulance Service, 11 October 2018
The Committee spoke to chair of the London Ambulance Service NHS Trust Board Heather Lawrence, and chief executive of the London Ambulance Service Garrett Emerson about the pressures facing the service.
- Secured an agreement with London Ambulance Service to scrutinise its work - 11 October 2018
- Published findings of an exclusive new survey that showed younger Londoners over-rely on ambulances - 19 September 2018
- Launched an investigation into the ambulance service
- Published Healthy First Steps about the importance of getting the first two years of a child's life right.
- Wrote to the Mayor about the closures of sexual health clinics.
- Investigated young-onset dementia in London - May 2018
- Published a report on what healthy work looks like - 15 March 2018
In the news
- Ambulances taking people with mental health problems to A&E because of lack of alternatives - Times Series
- One in ten Londoners would call ambulance if their child's hand got stuck in a jam jar - Evening Standard
- Quarter of young Londoners would dial 999 if they couldn't see a GP, study shows - Evening Standard
- Dementia In Your 40s - Life isn't over, it just changes - Huff Post
Contact the Health Committee
If you have a media enquiry relating to the Health Committee please contact:
Communications Officer: Howard Wheeler [email protected] 020 7983 5769
If you have a query about this Committee and its work please contact:
Scrutiny Manager: Lucy Brant, [email protected], 0207 983 5727
Committee Officer: Clare Bryant, [email protected], 020 7983 4616
If you have a query about the Mayor's health policy please call 020 7983 4000.