What is the new London Plan?
The London Plan
The London Plan is the statutory Spatial Development Strategy for Greater London prepared by the Mayor of London (“the Mayor”) in accordance with the Greater London Authority Act 1999 (as amended) (“the GLA Act”) and associated regulations.
The legislation requires the London Plan to include the Mayor’s general policies in respect of the development and use of land in Greater London and statements dealing with general spatial development aspects of his other strategies. The Mayor is required to have regard to the need to ensure that the London Plan is consistent with national policies . When published in its final form the Plan will comprise part of the statutory development plan for Greater London.
The current 2016 Plan (The London Plan consolidated with alterations since 2011) is still the adopted Development Plan, but the Draft London Plan is a material consideration in planning decisions. The significance given to it is a matter for the decision maker, but it gains more weight as it moves through the process to adoption.
The Plan is at an advanced stage. Policies contained in the Intend to Publish (ItP) London Plan published in December 2019 that are not subject to a direction by the Secretary of State carry significant weight.
Steps towards publication
- City for All Londoners Consultation – October 2016
- Draft new London Plan – December 2017
- Minor Suggested Changes – August 2018
- Examination in Public – January to May 19
- Draft new London Plan – Consolidated Suggested Changes version – July 2019
- Fact Check of Report – Sept 19
- Mayor receives official Panel Report - 8 October 2019
- Intend to Publish version of the Plan to Secretary of State – 9 December 2019
- London Assembly Plenary – 6 February 2020
- Letter with the Anticipated response received from the Secretary of State - 14 February 2020
- Response from Secretary of State and Directions received - 13 March 2020
- Response from the Mayor to the Secretary of State – 24 April 2020
- Informally agree text of new London Plan with MHCLG and Secretary of State – current stage
- Mayoral Decision to publish the final London Plan
- Secretary of State to confirm the Mayor has complied with the Directions
- Mayor to publish final London Plan (including Statutory Notifications) - working towards Summer 2020