Seaside and Country Homes

Seaside & Country Homes offers older tenants of London’s councils and housing associations the opportunity to move away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

How does the scheme work?

The scheme helps around 150 households to move from London each year to bungalows or flats in desirable seaside and countryside locations. 

Some of those who have moved in the past chose to do so to be closer to family or friends. Others have sought out locations where they spent childhood holidays or about which they have other happy memories. For many, the appeal lies in a quieter, more relaxed way of life, living among people of a similar age.

Who’s eligible to participate in the scheme?

Seaside & Country Homes is open to people living in council or housing association properties in London where at least one member of the household is age 55 or above.

Any members of the household who are under 55 years of age must be either the partner, joint tenant or registered carer of the lead applicant. Second applicants aged under 55 are not able to become joint tenants of, or have succession rights to, Seaside and Country Homes properties. We are usually only able to consider applications from two people but we can consider three person households where the third person is an adult dependant relative or live in carer.  Please contact us if you are unsure of your eligibility.

Applicants should have no rent arrears or history of anti-social behaviour, and should not be going through possession proceedings or being evicted.

The Seaside & Country Homes scheme is very popular, so we cannot guarantee a move to everyone who applies. People freeing up the largest homes are given the greatest priority. If your current home has one or two bedrooms you are likely to be successful only if you are willing to move to a lower demand area.

Which locations and properties are available?

Over 3,000 properties, mainly two bedroom bungalows and one and two bedroom flats, are exclusively available to eligible applicants. These are dotted all along the south coast, from Cornwall in the south west to Norfolk and Lincolnshire in the east. Places are also available across the countryside, from Dorset to Cambridgeshire to Shropshire. 

Many have private gardens or outdoor communal areas and are in peaceful, purpose built developments. They are ideal for single people, couples or others who have retired or wish to do so.

Our Seaside & Country Homes Areas and Properties Guide gives you much more detail about the areas in which the properties are located, as well as the properties themselves. A PDF copy of the guide can also be downloaded here.

How do I apply?

It is very important that you read our  Seaside & Country Homes Areas and Properties Guide before you make your application. It will detail all the areas where we have properties and you can choose up to a maximum of 10 towns that you would be interested in moving to. 

If you would like to apply you can fill in an application form online.  Please contact us if you would like advice or assistance to complete this form.

To apply online please click on the 'Apply now' button at the top of this page and follow the guidance on screen. If you wish to complete a hard copy of the application form, you can download a copy here and send it to us by email or by post. You will find our contact details on the back of the form.

Does the scheme benefit other Londoners?

As well as giving older people the opportunity to move to a new area, the scheme helps homeless and overcrowded families in London. This is because it gives them the chance to move into the homes vacated by those people who move to the seaside or countryside. This is why priority is given to Seaside & Country Homes applicants who will free up the most bedrooms.

Information for social landlords about the scheme

All London boroughs currently participate in the Seaside & Country Homes scheme. Marketing material to help boroughs and housing associations to promote the scheme and assist their tenants is available below. We are happy to attend local housing options and other events that you may be organising, to speak to tenants direct about the scheme.

Please contact us if you would like hard copies of any of the material or would like us to attend a local event. Alternatively, for more information, please visit our Seaside & Country Homes FAQs page.

Seaside and Country Homes Newsletters

I'm a Seaside & Country Homes tenant and I want to move

If you're an existing tenant of the scheme but you'd like to move; there may be medical reasons or family who have been supporting you might have moved away, you can apply for a transfer.

Please note that you cannot apply for a transfer if you have not already moved through the Seaside and Country Homes scheme.

Share this page