Find out more about tree planting
Where to buy a tree
We still have a limited number of tree saplings available to collect from three TCV sites in London. Alternatively, its easy to buy a tree to plant at home.
- The Woodland Trust shop has a wide range of native trees suitable for gardens
- The Royal Horticultural Society has a list of tree species and a range of suppliers
How to plant a tree
Planting a tree doesn’t require any specialist knowledge. There are plenty of step-by-step guides you can follow, including our community tree planting guide with The Conservation Volunteers.
- The Conservation Volunteers’ video shows how to plant a tree sapling
- The Royal Horticultural Society has a guide on planting a larger tree
- The Woodland Trust has advice on how to plant a tree
Which tree to choose
It’s important to plant the right tree in the right place, so that it will thrive and grow to the size you want.
- The Woodland Trust has advice on choosing the right tree
- The Royal Horticultural Society has tips on buying trees and shrubs and also has a useful list of suggested trees for small gardens
- The Forestry Commission has a guide to choosing the right tree for the right place
Grow your own tree from seed
Instead of buying a tree you can also grow your own tree from seed. Autumn is a great time to collect tree seeds to plant.
- The Woodland Trust has advice on growing a tree from seed
- The Conservation Volunteers have detailed advice on how to grow many of the UK’s trees
How to look after your tree
Looking after your tree, especially in the first few years of its life, is important to make sure it survives and thrives.
- The Woodland Trust has advice on caring for your trees
- The Royal Horticultural Society has advice on tree maintenance
Find out more about what the Mayor is doing to help maintain and expand London’s urban forest.