Assembly to assess Mayor’s Fire and Transport nominees
This meeting took place on 9 June 2016. Read the transcript here.
The London Assembly will hold a confirmation hearing tomorrow to assess Mayor of London Sadiq Khan’s proposed appointments to Chair of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA) and Deputy Chair of Transport for London.
The Assembly’s Confirmation Hearings Committee will question:
Fiona Twycross AM
Proposed appointment to the office of Chair of LFEPA
Valerie Shawcross CBE
Proposed appointment to the office of Deputy Chair of Transport for London
Questions are expected to cover four key areas:
- Whether the candidate is qualified for the position
- Whether the candidate has the time and capacity for the position
- Whether the candidate is fit (independent and impartial) for the position
- The main responsibilities of the post and the key issues facing the organisation
Following the hearing, the Committee will make a recommendation to the Mayor as to whether they agree or reject the proposed appointments.
The hearings will take place on Thursday, 9 June from 2.00pm in the Chamber at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1).
Media and members of the public are invited to attend.
The meeting can also be viewed via webcast.
Notes to editors
- The Committee’s recommendation is non-binding.
- In accordance with Schedule 4A of the Greater London Authority Act 1999 (as amended 2007), the London Assembly may hold Confirmation Hearings in respect of specific appointments and make a recommendation to the Mayor on the candidates proposed for appointment.
- Full agenda papers.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For media enquiries, please contact Alison Bell on 020 7983 4228. For out of hours media enquiries, call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the London Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit on 020 7983 4100.