CLEANING UP LONDON’S AIR
The Mayor of London has recently consulted Londoners on proposals for central London 2019 Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and emissions standard for particulate matter. The deadline for public responses is Sunday 25th June 2017.
My proposals are:
- Aim for all Londoners to breathe safe air within EU limits for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) by 2020 or sooner
- Consult on a London-wide Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) for all vehicles
- Base the diesel ULEZ standard on independent ‘real world driving’ emission tests
- Use World Health Organisation guidelines for the diesel ULEZ particulate matter standard
- Improve public transport, pedestrian and cycling provision, especially in outer London
Left Out Londoners: Why we need a fairer ULEZ
Over the past few months I have been talking to people living and working in outer London. I’ve asked them how air pollution affects their daily lives and health and how they want the Mayor to make things better.
I included what they told me in my report about how outer Londoners need the ULEZ too. The Mayor should not be overseeing a clean air postcode lottery. His scheme must be fair.