City Hall

Compliments, complaints and suggestions

Let us know what you think we do well and what we can improve at City Hall.

Find out more about contacting the Mayor and Assembly on our contact us page or see our Freedom of Information page.

Making a complaint

Complaint about Transport

Transport for London (TfL) handle the majority of enquiries about public transport in London.

Enquiries or complaints about the day-to-day operation of London Buses, London Underground, London Overground, the Docklands Light Railway, Oyster Cards, Freedom Pass, Taxis and Private Car Hire, Croydon Tramlink, Congestion Charging, River Services, Victoria Coach Station and Bus Lane Enforcement must be directed to TfL.

If you have raised a complaint with Transport for London (TfL), or the appropriate transport provider, and remain unhappy with their response, you can contact London TravelWatch, which is the statutory watchdog for most transport operators in and around London.

What role does the Mayor hold with regard to Transport for London?

The Mayor is the Chair of the Board of Transport for London (TfL), which is the integrated body responsible for the capital's transport system.

Its role is to implement the Mayor's Transport Strategy for London, and to manage the transport services across the capital for which the Mayor has responsibility.

The Mayor does not have direct responsibility for the daily operation of Transport for London or its services, and to ensure a prompt response on your query or complaint you should contact TfL as above. The current head of TfL is Commissioner Mike Brown.

Any correspondence or complaints received by the Greater London Authority/City Hall on transport issues will be forwarded to Transport for London for a response.

Complaint about Policing

General enquiries

If you have a general enquiry about policing in your local area or London-wide, you should contact the Metropolitan Police Service


If you have a complaint about a specific incident with the police, you should first make the complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) so they can carry out a local investigation. You can raise a complaint with the MPS online or by telephone - you should call 101. 

Escalating your complaint

If you are unhappy with the response from the MPS, or you need to make your complaint to an independent organisation, you should contact the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC). You can also telephone them on 0300 020 0096

Mayor as occupant of MOPAC (Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime)

If you believe the Mayor as occupant of MOPAC and/or the Deputy Mayor of Policing and Crime (DMPC) has breached the Elected Local Policing Bodies (Complaints and Misconduct) Regulations 2011, email your complaint to the Monitoring officer at [email protected] or call 020 7983 4040.

Note: If your complaint is about the Mayor in another capacity (e.g. other than as Occupant of MOPAC), please see our section below  on how to address this complaint. 

You should also view GLA Guidance on Complaints about MOPAC and the DMPC (PDF).

Contact MOPAC

To contact MOPAC directly, email [email protected] or telephone 020 7983 6532. They aim to reply within 20 working days.

Any correspondence or complaints received by City Hall about policing may be forwarded to MOPAC for a response.

What role does the Mayor hold with regard to policing in London?

The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 established a Police and Crime Commissioner for each police force area across England and Wales. In London, the elected Mayor – Sadiq Khan, is the equivalent of the Police and Crime Commissioner.

However, the Mayor has chosen to delegate the vast majority of his duties as “occupant of MOPAC” to the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime, Sophie Linden. The Mayor remains responsible for setting the policy and direction of Mayor’s Office for Policing And Crime (MOPAC).

MOPAC also ensures the Metropolitan Police Service is run efficiently and effectively and holds it, and other criminal justice services, to account on behalf of Londoners.

Complaint about the work of City Hall

We hope you have no reason to complain about our work here at City Hall: our customer service, policies or our staff. But, if you do feel unhappy about the service you have received please let us know and we will try to put things right. 

If you wish to make a complaint, you can do so online using our online complaints form

If you have a question about making a complaint, you can telephone us at: 020 7983 4100.

How your complaint about City Hall will be dealt with

There are three main stages to the corporate complaints process. We aim to deal with all complaints at stage one. If you are unhappy with our first response, you can then escalate your complaint to the second stage. 

Stage 1

Once you have contacted us outlining the problem, we will contact the relevant member of staff or their manager who will investigate the complaint, deal with it where possible and ensure measures are taken to prevent a similar problem occurring in the future. We will then inform you of the outcomes of any actions taken following your complaint, or give you guidance on how to progress your complaint if it is outside our control.

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with the response you received at stage one, you can escalate your complaint to the next stage of the complaints procedure. At stage two, your complaint will be referred to a more senior member of staff. A director or senior manager will investigate the matter further. 

Stage 3

If you are still not happy with the response you have received, you can contact us again stating clearly that you wish to escalate your complaint to stage three. At this stage, your complaint will be dealt with by the GLA's most senior member of staff, the Head of Paid Service, or a person nominated by him/her. We will aim to respond within 20 working days.

Next steps

If at the end of stage three you are still not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) online or telephone 0300 061 0614. The Ombudsman is an independent person who investigates complaints about local authorities, including the Greater London Authority.

Complaint about the Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Assembly

If the GLA’s Monitoring Officer does investigate your complaint, the final summary investigation report and finding will (with the exception of any private or confidential information) be published on the Authority’s website.

In cases where the Monitoring Officer upholds your complaint, he/she can apply no formal sanction other than to provide an opinion on the conduct of the GLA Member concerned as compared to the expectations of the Code of Conduct.

Note: There are no appeal mechanisms within this process. Should you be dissatisfied with the Monitoring Officer’s decisions and/or actions at any point, you may be able to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman (as above) or to the courts.

Further information about Member complaints 

Find out more about high standards of conduct we set for Members and the role of the Monitoring Officer. 

Browse decisions by the Monitoring Officer

Detailed information about the Member complaints procedure can be found in the following document:

Complaint about the London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA)

The London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA) oversees the London Fire Brigade and is in charge of supporting London Boroughs in their emergency planning role.

For complaints about fire services or emergency planning in London please contact LFEPA.

Other comments and suggestions

Contact us form

We want to ensure that your query is dealt with promptly and correctly the first time.  

Please read information about contacting City Hall and the Mayor before completing this form to help ensure that your query is addressed by the most appropriate team. 

NB: about your complaint

Please note if you have a complaint about policing or transport, please visit the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) or Transport for London (TfL). We are unfortunately unable to handle these kind of requests.

Files must be less than 2 MB.
Allowed file types: gif jpg jpeg png pdf doc docx ppt pptx xls xlsx.
Files must be less than 2 MB.
Allowed file types: gif jpg jpeg png txt pdf doc docx ppt pptx xls xlsx.

Your correspondence

You can view our City Hall Service Standards for more details on how we manage your correspondence, including response time, privacy information, discrimination and equality.