City Hall

Contacting City Hall and the Mayor

You can contact the Mayor, City Hall, the London Assembly and other departments with your queries and comments.

General queries

Transport for London queries

Transport for London is the functional body responsible for implementing policies in relation to the Mayor’s Transport Strategy, and for the day-to-day operational running of transport services in London.

Please contact TfL at the following address with this matter and they will be able to assist you with your query.

TfL Customer Relations
Floor 4
14 Pier Walk
North Greenwich
SE10 0ES

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0343 222 1234

Talk London queries

Talk London has been created by City Hall as a place to discuss London's big issues. Have your say at

If you have any queries, please contact us via our online web form.

Policing queries

Find out about the Mayor's role for policing in London.

The Mayor is not able to intervene directly in complaints or comments about specific incidents involving the police. These need to be directed as below. 

If you have a general enquiry or comment about policing in your local area or London-wide, you should contact the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). Details on how to contact them can be found on their website.

If you have a complaint about specific incidents with the police, you should make a complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) so they can carry out a local investigation.

You can raise a complaint with the MPS online

Alternatively, you can write to the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPA) at:
DPS Complaints and Satisfaction Team
22nd Floor, Empress State Building
Lillie Road

To make a complaint by telephone, you should call 101 for the Central Communications Command, where a call handler will take the details of your complaint. Textrelay no: 18001 is available for deaf and hard of hearing people.

If you are unhappy with the response from the MPS, or you need to make your complaint to an independent organisation, you should contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). You can contact them online or by post to:

Independent Police Complaints Commission
PO Box 473
M33 0BW

You can also telephone them at 0300 020 0096 

If you feel that you may be a victim of fraud, you should contact your local police force for advice. Information on reporting fraud in the UK can be found at Action Fraud.

If you feel that you are a victim of an investment scam, you should refer to the Financial Services Authority.

Invite the Mayor to an event

You can send your invitation via our web form. Please ensure that you include full details of the event.

Please note the Mayor’s diary can be very busy and it is not always possible for him to accept every invitation.

Work for the Mayor of London

Specific issues

Grenfell Tower Fire

Londoners have sent the Mayor of London, hundreds of queries on this tragic incident. The Mayor is fighting for and alongside the community of Grenfell. Its members, and all Londoners, deserve answers as soon as possible.

Read public information on the Grenfell Tower Fire

New Year's Eve Fireworks

Got a question about the fireworks? We have the answer.

Browse our frequently asked questions

Planning applications

Find out latest information on planning applications in London.

Air quality

The Mayor, Sadiq Khan is tackling London's acute air pollution. You can find out what is being done to improve air quality in London.

Garden Bridge

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has announced the GLA will not be providing Mayoral guarantees for the Garden Bridge project.

The Mayor has said:  ‘Under the previous Mayor, a considerable amount of London taxpayers’ money has already been spent on the Garden Bridge. Having assessed all the information available to me, my view is that providing Mayoral guarantees will expose the London taxpayer to too much additional financial risk.’

Read about the Garden Bridge independent review


The Mayor's role in housing involves setting priorities through London's Housing Strategy and directing and managing investment in new affordable housing. 

However, he does not have the legal powers to help individuals with housing issues. 

The manifesto the Mayor published when campaigning for election makes clear his concern about overcrowding because of the shortage of decent and affordable homes faced by Londoners. His manifesto also set out his commitment to building the homes London needs, with a target of half of all the new homes built across the city being genuinely affordable.

You will need to contact your local council to discuss your housing issue. 

How to get in touch


By online form

This is the quickest and easiest way to contact the Mayor or City Hall - giving us key details to help us direct your query. Rest assured, you'll still receive a full response.

By post

City Hall 
The Queen's Walk
London SE1 2AA

By phone

City Hall Switchboard (to get in touch with a member of staff)
Tel: 020 7983 4000

Public Liaison team
Tel: 020 7983 4100
Monday - Friday
9 - 5 p.m

Note: Calls will not be transferred directly to the Mayor's Office, and you may be asked to send your request to speak with the Mayor in writing. 

We also ask that all invitations to the Mayor be made in writing. (You may also be asked to email us with more details from your call.)

Contact the London Assembly

For more details on contacting: a London Assembly Member, the Assembly Media team and other key contacts - visit their Assembly Contacts page

Make a complaint

Complaint about Transport

Transport for London (TfL) handle the majority of enquiries about public transport in London.

Enquiries or complaints about the day-to-day operation of London Buses, London Underground, London Overground, the Docklands Light Railway, Oyster Cards, Freedom Pass, Taxis and Private Car Hire, Croydon Tramlink, Congestion Charging, River Services, Victoria Coach Station and Bus Lane Enforcement must be directed to TfL.

If you have raised a complaint with Transport for London (TfL), or the appropriate transport provider, and remain unhappy with their response, you can contact London TravelWatch, which is the statutory watchdog for most transport operators in and around London.

What role does the Mayor hold with regard to Transport for London?

The Mayor is the Chair of the Board of Transport for London (TfL), which is the integrated body responsible for the capital's transport system.

Its role is to implement the Mayor's Transport Strategy for London, and to manage the transport services across the capital for which the Mayor has responsibility.

The Mayor does not have direct responsibility for the daily operation of Transport for London or its services, and to ensure a prompt response on your query or complaint you should contact TfL as above. The current head of TfL is Commissioner Mike Brown.

Any correspondence or complaints received by the Greater London Authority/City Hall on transport issues will be forwarded to Transport for London for a response.

Complaint about Policing

General enquiries

If you have a general enquiry about policing in your local area or London-wide, you should contact the Metropolitan Police Service


If you have a complaint about a specific incident with the police, you should first make the complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) so they can carry out a local investigation. You can raise a complaint with the MPS online or by telephone - you should call 101. 

Escalating your complaint

If you are unhappy with the response from the MPS, or you need to make your complaint to an independent organisation, you should contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) online. You can also telephone them on 0300 020 0096

Mayor as occupant of MOPAC (Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime)

If you believe the Mayor as occupant of MOPAC and/or the Deputy Mayor of Policing and Crime (DMPC) has breached the Elected Local Policing Bodies (Complaints and Misconduct) Regulations 2011 please email your complaint to the Monitoring officer at [email protected].

Note: If your complaint is about the Mayor in another capacity (e.g. other than as Occupant of MOPAC), please see our section below  on how to address this complaint. 

You should also view GLA Guidance on Complaints about MOPAC and the DMPC.

Contact MOPAC

To contact MOPAC directly, email [email protected] or telephone 020 7983 6532. They aim to reply within 20 working days.

Any correspondence or complaints received by City Hall about policing may be forwarded to MOPAC for a response.

What role does the Mayor hold with regard to policing in London?

The Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011 established a Police and Crime Commissioner for each police force area across England and Wales. In London, the elected Mayor – Sadiq Khan, is the equivalent of the Police and Crime Commissioner.

However, the Mayor has chosen to delegate the vast majority of his duties as “occupant of MOPAC” to the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime, Sophie Linden. The Mayor remains responsible for setting the policy and direction of Mayor’s Office for Policing And Crime (MOPAC).

MOPAC also ensures the Metropolitan Police Service is run efficiently and effectively and holds it, and other criminal justice services, to account on behalf of Londoners.

Complaint about a member of City Hall staff

We hope that you have no reason to complain about City Hall or its staff, but, if you do feel unhappy about the service you have received please let us know and we will try to put things right. 

If you wish to make a complaint, you can do so online using our online complaints form

If you have a question about making a complaint, you can telephone us at: 020 7983 4100.

How your complaint about City Hall staff will be dealt with

There are three main stages to the corporate complaints process. We aim to deal with all complaints at stage one. If you are unhappy with our first response, you can then escalate your complaint to the second stage. 

Stage 1

Once you have contacted us outlining the problem, we will contact the relevant member of staff or their manager who will investigate the complaint, deal with it where possible and ensure measures are taken to prevent a similar problem occurring in the future. We will then inform you of the outcomes of any actions taken following your complaint, or give you guidance on how to progress your complaint if it is outside our control.

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with the response you received at stage one, you can escalate your complaint to the next stage of the complaints procedure.  At stage two, your complaint will be referred to a more senior member of staff. A director or senior manager will investigate the matter further. 

Stage 3

If you are still not happy with the response you have received, you can contact us again stating clearly that you wish to escalate your complaint to stage three. At this stage, your complaint will be dealt with by the GLA's most senior member of staff, the Head of Paid Service, or a person nominated by him/her. We will aim to respond within 20 working days.

Next steps

If at the end of stage three you are still not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) online or telephone 0300 061 0614. The Ombudsman is an independent person who investigates complaints about local authorities, including the Greater London Authority.

Complaint about the Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Assembly

If you wish to make a complaint about a Member (Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Assembly Member), you can do so using our online complaints form. If you have a question about making a complaint, you can telephone us at: 020 7983 4100.

Once you have made a complaint about a Member, the Monitoring Officer will normally try to resolve this informally.

If it is not possible to resolve your complaint by early informal resolution, you will be notified in writing what will happen next. If appropriate, the Monitoring Officer of the GLA will assess the complaint and decide whether formally to investigate it.

If the Monitoring Officer decides that the complaint should be investigated, he/she will undertake a process (details of which are set out in the links at the bottom of this section) to determine whether or not the complaint is to be upheld. If the complaint is not to be investigated, the Monitoring Officer will write to you to explain why.

If the GLA’s Monitoring Officer does investigate your complaint, the final summary investigation report and finding will (with the exception of any private or confidential information) be published on the Authority’s website.

In cases where the Monitoring Officer upholds your complaint, he/she can apply no formal sanction other than to provide an opinion on the conduct of the GLA Member concerned as compared to the expectations of the Code of Conduct.

Note: There are no appeal mechanisms within this process. Should you be dissatisfied with the Monitoring Officer’s decisions and/or actions at any point, you may be able to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman (as above) or to the courts.

Further information about Member complaints 

Find out more about high standards of conduct we set for Members and the role of the Monitoring Officer. 

Browse decisions by the Monitoring Officer

Detailed information about the Member complaints procedure can be found in the following document:

Complaint about the London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA)

The London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority (LFEPA) oversees the London Fire Brigade and is in charge of supporting London Boroughs in their emergency planning role.

For complaints about fire services or emergency planning in London please contact LFEPA.

Your correspondence

You can view our City Hall Service Standards for more details on how we manage your correspondence, including response time, privacy information, discrimination and equality.