Team London Young Ambassadors
Team London Young Ambassadors
Team London Young Ambassadors is the Mayor’s school volunteering programme which connects young Londoners with their communities through social action.
Since 2013, thousands of young people have improved their school and communities by setting up projects on issues they really care about, such as LGBTQ+, food poverty, bullying and refugees. They are also taking action on key Mayoral priorities, including air quality and the environment, gangs and knife crime, gender equality, homelessness, mental health and wellbeing, and social integration. Read more about how young Londoners are inspiring with their social action projects.
Thanks to generous funding from #iwill Fund we will continue delivering the programme until 2020, helping us to target even more young people and able to focus on areas of social deprivation and those at risk of becoming socially excluded.
Schools that participate in the Young Ambassadors programme receive an assembly and a workshop to introduce them to volunteering. Schools also get invitations to youth summits, toolkits and campaign kits and are also eligible to apply for a Small Grant of up to £1000 to help schools create even bigger and better projects.
The programme is delivered by WE Charity.
So far, Team London Young Ambassadors has:
- Reached 435,000 young people
- Raised £236,000 for local causes
- Worked in 2,100 schools
- Worked in 30 PRUs and SEND schools
- Logged 330 new social action projects since #iwill Fund funding began in January 2018
- 90% of students demonstrate more responsibility towards local and global issues in their everyday life choices
- 86% of students are more likely to work effectively and respectfully in diverse teams
- 89% of students demonstrate increased leadership among their peers
- 87% of students have developed stronger communication skills
- 87% of students are more likely to stand up for others that are treated unfairly because of their gender, race, religion, ability or sexual orientation
- 86% of teachers feel that their students feel a greater connection to their local community
By 2020, Team London Young Ambassadors will:
- Engage 39,000 young people
- Help to create 2,100 youth social action projects
- Offer 500 teacher training sessions
- Work with over 100 alternative education providers including SEND schools and PRUs
- Offer 45 small grants of £1,000 directly to schools
Where we are working
The Team London Young Ambassadors programme is available free of charge to all state schools in Greater London.
To get your school involved, please contact our team on email us or call 020 7978 5225.
If your school is fee-paying and in Greater London, you can still be accredited as a Team London Young Ambassadors school. To find out how, please get in touch.
The Young Ambassadors programme is run in partnership with WE Charity, as part of their WE Schools programme.
Unilever and Spirit of 2012 have both previously funded the programme.