Police Misconduct Appeals
Disciplinary matters involving police officers and special constables are currently governed by Police (Conduct) Regulations 2012, which was amended in 2015. From 1 May 2015, any new cases of police officer misconduct may result in hearings that can be attended by the public, including the media.
Details of upcoming hearings will be published with at least five days’ notice on the Metropolitan Police website. The amended regulations state that police gross (serious) misconduct hearings must now be held in public and, from January 2016, they must be presided over by a legally qualified chair.
MOPAC is responsible for the appointment and training of the legally qualified chair and the recruitment process is ongoing.
Police Appeal Tribunals
Police Appeals Tribunals (PATs) hear appeals against the findings of gross (serious) misconduct brought by police officers or special constables. PATs are currently governed by Police Appeals Tribunal Rules 2012, which was amended in 2015. The amendments set out what may be published in respect of appeal hearings and allows for the appeal hearings to be held in public.
Members of the public can now attend appeal hearings as observers but are not allowed to participate in proceedings. MOPAC is responsible for appointing the chair to conduct the proceedings.
Booking to attend
Places are limited and will need to be booked in advance, preferably at least 48 hours before the hearing. Details of how to do this will be published with each hearing date. To comply with the rules of attendance, observers are required to provide the following when booking:
- email address
- contact telephone number
Details of upcoming hearings, including how to book to attend will be listed below.
Details of past hearings including outcomes:
- Ex-DC Darren Stedman - 3rd May 2019
- Ex-PC Sarah Medlock - 30th January, 2019
- Ex-PC Peter Stallard - 15th October, 2018
- Ex-PC Barry Searle-Dighton - 20th and 21st August, 2018
- Ex PC Barry Searle-Dighton - 10 April 2018
- Ex PC Emilio Sabatino - 6 July 2017
- Ex CI Paul Cahill - 28 June 2017
- Ex PC Saheena Tegally - 20 April 2017
- Ex PC Matthew Broome - 6 March 2017
- Ex PS Frank Partridge - 7 December 2016
- Ex PC George Cooper and Ex PC Stephen Newbury - 7 June 2016
- Ex MSC David Rose - 22 March 2016
- Ex PC Vleit McNulty - 11 February 2016
- Ex DCS Darren Williams - 28 January 2016