MOPAC complaints

Whether you’d like to say thanks, find out more about the work or MOPAC or make a complaint, we’d like to hear from you.

If you wish to submit a complaint, there are various routes available to you depending on the circumstances and individual and/or organisation you are seeking to complain about.

Comments about the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS)

Regulations prohibit either the Mayor or MOPAC staff from intervening directly if you are seeking to make a comment or complaint about a specific incident involving the MPS. This also applies if you are seeking to make a general comment on MPS policies, performance or conduct.

Any comments about specific encounters with MPS officers should be directed to the MPS in the first instance. This is to ensure that the correct recording process is followed and that comments are treated in a fair and consistent manner.

The MPS will assign your comments to the appropriate authority and ensure that they are investigated in a manner which is both appropriate and legally-compliant.

The only exception is where your comments concern the conduct of the MPS Commissioner.

The Home Office are currently developing a series of reforms which are designed to make the complaints process easier to understand and more accessible, and MOPAC are fully engaged in supporting that work.

To help you navigate through the system and identify where to direct your query, please consider the options set out below.


How to:

Make a general enquiry or comment about policing in your local area or London-wide

Make a complaint about a specific incident or encounter with the MPS

You should make a complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS). They will make a formal recording decision as required by legislation, and then contact you to confirm that decision and explain how they will seek to resolve your complaint.

The MPS website also explains how your complaint will be recorded and handled.

You can also contact them by post:

Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) 
Complaints Support Team
22nd Floor, Empress State Building
Lillie Road

If your complaint is recorded, the MPS will consider whether it needs to be referred to the IOPC. To find out more about the type of complaints that will ordinarily be referred to the IOPC please see further information on the IOPC website.

Find out further information about the police complaints process

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales.

Should you wish to find out more about the process their website includes an informative guide to the police complaints system.

The IOPC make their decisions entirely independently of the police and government.

Submit a complaint about the MPS through the IOPC website

If you prefer, you can submit your complaint by using the online complaint form on the IOPC website, or in writing to them:

Independent Office for Police Conduct
PO Box 473
M33 0BW

Please note that the IOPC will automatically forward your complaint to the relevant police force to handle.

Exercise your right to appeal

If you have made a complaint but are dissatisfied with either the outcome or the way in which that complaint was handled neither The Mayor or MOPAC are able to consider your appeal or otherwise re-investigate the circumstances of your complaint.

If your complaint was formally recorded, the MPS will provide you with an outcome letter once their investigation is complete.

This letter will also advise you of your right to appeal. If your complaint is eligible for a right of appeal, that appeal should be submitted to either the MPS Directorate of Professional Standards or the IOPC as directed, and in accordance with the conditions as specified.

Submit a complaint about the MPS Commissioner

MOPAC is the Appropriate Authority that deals with complaints against the MPS Commissioner. 

Should you wish to make a complaint about the individual conduct of the Commissioner please email MOPAC at [email protected]

The MPS Commissioner is accountable to MOPAC for the delivery of efficient and effective policing, management of resources and expenditure.

Expectations about the conduct of the Commissioner are set out in The Police (Conduct) Regulations 2008 as the Standards of professional behaviour .

These expectations include requirements to:

  • Act with Honesty and Integrity
  • Treat members of the public and their colleagues with Respect and Courtesy
  • Not abuse powers and authority
  • Act with fairness and impartiality
  • Act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service

If you feel that the Commissioner has not met these standards, you can make a complaint.

If you prefer, someone can make a complaint on your behalf, but you must give your permission in writing for them to do this.

Submit a complaint about the Mayor or Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime

Both the Mayor as Occupant of the Mayor's Office for Policing And Crime (MOPAC) and the Deputy Mayor for Policing & Crime are subject to the code of conduct for GLA members.

It is the responsibility of the GLA's Monitoring Officer to promote, monitor and report on the compliance of our Members and staff with the high standard of ethical conduct we expect of them. The Monitoring Officer works with our elected politicians and chief officers to fulfil this statutory role.

Detailed information about the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime and the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime complaints procedure can be found in the guidance for MOPAC complaints document.

You can make a formal complaint to the Monitoring Officer if you believe one of our Members has breached the GLA’s Code of Conduct. For more information you can review the Monitoring Officer’s decisions on the complaints received and their annual report.

Detailed information about the GLA complaints procedure can be found on the member complaints page.

Comment about MOPAC staff

If you wish to submit a comment or question about MOPAC, or are unhappy with the conduct of a member of MOPAC staff, please email [email protected] or write to the us at:

Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime
City Hall
The Queens Walk

Or by telephone: 0207 983 4010

Find out how your complaint about MOPAC staff will be handled

We hope you have no reason to complain about the work of MOPAC: our customer service, policies or our staff. But, if you do feel unhappy please let us know and we will try to put things right. 

Once your complaint has been received it will enter the three-stage MOPAC complaints process. If you are unhappy with our initial response you have the option of escalating your complaint further. 

Stage 1

When the reasons for your complaint are clear and no detailed investigation is needed, we’ll speak to the member(s) of staff concerned to discuss your concerns. We will then try and get back to you quickly with any further information or an explanation.

Stage 2

Complaints about MOPAC staff requiring investigation will be passed onto the Head of Workforce and Professional Standards. They will seek to address your concerns with the individual or team(s) responsible, resolve any points of dispute or concern, and ensure that appropriate measures are taken to prevent a similar problem occurring in the future. We will inform you of the outcomes of any action taken following your complaint or give you guidance on how to progress your complaint if it is outside our control.

Stage 3

If you are unhappy with the response that you receive at Stage 2 you can request that your complaint be referred to the MOPAC Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who will further review the circumstances of your case. Again, you will be informed of the outcome of this investigation. The CEO will also advise you of any specific action taken as a result of your complaint.

Find out how MOPAC deal with vexatious or abusive correspondence

We aim to deal with all correspondence and complaints equitably, but there will be occasions when individuals make unreasonable demands of MOPAC.

Our policy on dealing with abusive, persistent and vexatious correspondence and complaints outlines the circumstances when we may decline to investigate an item of correspondence or complaint.

Share this page