Our Mayor’s Air Quality Fund (MAQF) is a £20 million fund over 10 years to support projects by London boroughs to improve air quality.
Mayor's Air Quality Fund
The fund is currently open for applications and a £6 million funding pot is available for this round.
This fund is only available to London boroughs; no other organisations are eligible to apply, although boroughs are encouraged to work with local groups when they develop their applications, where relevant.
The fund is inviting applications for the following projects:
- a pan-London anti-idling project, to include on street enforcement against idling
- a pan-London project to inspect construction sites to ensure that they are only using approved and lower-pollution machinery. Construction machinery is currently the third largest contributor to air pollution in the capital
- Low Emission Neighbourhoods (LENs) – we will fund up to 4 new LENs with up to £500,000 each. This builds on the 5 borough-led LENs and six business-led LENs we have already funded
- pedestrianisation, road closures and car-free schemes in partnership with local communities
- supporting the uptake of low-emission vehicles and supporting businesses to reduce emissions
- exceptional projects – we will also accept applications for exceptional ideas which fall outside of the above categories
The deadline for applications is 11 January 2019.
A Low Emission Neighbourhood (LEN) is a comprehensive package of measures delivered in an area of high pollution and high human exposure. It can include infrastructure to support walking and cycling, greening, infrastructure for ultra low emission vehicles, projects with schools and businesses, and innovative measures such as making prime loading bays accessible to only ultra low emission vehicles.
The Mayor is currently supporting 5 LENs with £1 million each, to be delivered by April 2019. You can find more information on each of the LENs on their websites. These are:
• Marylebone – delivered by Westminster Council
• City Fringe (Shoreditch) – delivered by Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets Councils
• Barbican – City of London
• Greenwich Town Centre and Trafalgar Road – Greenwich Council
• Ilford Junction (website coming soon) – Redbridge and Newham Councils
Find out more about the Mayor's new fund to support 5 business LENs.
The first round of funding supported a wide range of projects, including: freight consolidation, green walls, low emission vehicles, reducing pollution from construction sites and digital signage to reduce engine idling. You can read about them in our MAQF report.
In round 2 we awarded £5 million across 28 boroughs. Projects started in 2016 and will be completed in April 2019 and include:
- electrifying Hackney Council’s vehicle fleet
- continuing the London Low Emission Construction Partnership to reduce the industry’s impact on air quality
- fitting low cost electric vehicle charging points onto lamp columns across Hounslow
- establishing a green courier service in Waltham Forest providing a same day delivery service using cargo bikes and electric vehicles
- a variety of infrastructure and communication projects to enhance walking and cycling, and reduce lorry movements