Mayor's Air Quality Fund
Our Air Quality Fund (MAQF) is a £20 million fund, over ten years to support new projects by London boroughs to improve air quality.
The first round of funding supported a wide range of projects, including: freight consolidation, green walls, low emission vehicles, reducing pollution from construction sites and digital signage to reduce engine idling. You can read about them in our MAQF report.
In round two we awarded £5 million across 28 boroughs. Projects started in April 2015 and include:
- electrifying Hackney Council’s vehicle fleet
- continuing the London Low Emission Construction Partnership to reduce the industry’s impact on air quality
- fitting low cost electric vehicle charging points onto lamp columns across Hounslow
- establishing a green courier service in Waltham Forest providing a same day delivery service using cargo bikes and electric vehicles
- a variety of infrastructure and communication projects to enhance walking and cycling, and reduce lorry movements
These projects will be completed by March 2019.
In summer 2018, the third round of MAQF funding will open for applications (for projects commencing in April 2019). Please note that only the London boroughs and the City of London are eligible for the MAQF, but if you are from an organisation then you can contact your local borough with your idea to see if they are interested in incorporating your idea into their application.
Low Emission Neighbourhoods
A Low Emission Neighbourhood (LEN) is a comprehensive package of measures delivered in an area of high pollution and high human exposure. It can include infrastructure to support walking and cycling, greening, infrastructure for ultra low emission vehicles, projects with schools and businesses, and innovative measures such as making prime loading bays accessible to only ultra low emission vehicles.
The Mayor is currently supporting five LENs with £1m each, to be delivered by April 2019. You can find more information on each of the LENs on their websites. These are:
• Marylebone – delivered by Westminster Council
• City Fringe (Shoreditch) - delivered by Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets Councils
• Barbican – City of London
• Greenwich Town Centre and Trafalgar Road – Greenwich Council
• Ilford Junction (website coming soon) – Redbridge and Newham Councils