‘Stepping Stones’ programme to support disadvantaged children
Our new programme of safe summer activities and on-going support for 2,100 disadvantaged children across London launches today, to help vulnerable students between primary and secondary school. We’re investing in activities, including:
- a two-week summer school of educational and team building activities to help immerse incoming Year 7 pupils in the secondary school environment before term begins
- peer mentoring from Year 10 pupils to support Year 7 pupils via weekly one-to-one sessions throughout their first year of school
- sessions for Year 10 pupils to support them in developing skills required to mentor Year 7 pupils through their first year
- aspirational and career-based activities working with external organisations to inspire Year 7 pupils about different careers and future goals
- targeted lessons for Year 7 students, helping them to develop their confidence and ability to deal with different social and academic situations
- support for parents from teachers to decrease their own anxiety about how their children are coping with the transition and life in secondary school.