Team London Awards 2018
Team London Awards 2018
The annual Team London Awards celebrate the individuals, teams and corporate volunteers who are making outstanding contributions to their communities and helping to make London the best city it can be.
Each day, tens of thousands of volunteers help charities to deliver their services. The Awards are one of the ways the Mayor recognises some of those volunteers who go above and beyond to create better local communities.
This year's ceremony took place on Monday 15 October 2018.
The 2018 awards were across three categories:
Volunteering which brings people from different backgrounds together and them to create bonds with each other. Examples might include:
- Environmental projects which bring people together outdoors in parks or community food growing
- Family projects which support schools or playgroups
- Helping Londoners with disabilities to access community life
- Befriending neighbours or welcoming those who are new to London
Volunteering which helps people from disadvantaged backgrounds access London's opportunities. Examples might include:
- Mentoring projects which help and support people
- Befriending projects to improve skills and confidence
- Projects where volunteers share their skills with others
Volunteering which supports communities and help them to solve local issues. Examples might include:
- Local people tackling local issues
- Campaigning on a social issue to achieve change or raise the profile of a local problem
Within these three categories, nominations included an individual or groups of volunteers:
- Individual volunteer award (under the age of 25)
- Individual volunteer award (over the age of 25)
- A volunteer 'team' award (a group of volunteers who work on a local issue or cause – includes school groups, teams of charity volunteers, community groups and youth groups)
- A business or corporate volunteering group award (volunteers, or a team of volunteers, who are supported by their employer. This can also include a project run by a team of business volunteers in your community)
- Innovative project or charity award (a project or charity using innovative ideas or methods to solve local issues or further a cause)
Two other categories included the Long Service Award and the new Young Londoner Award, which recognised young people who are volunteering in their community to tackle youth violence – one of the Mayor’s priority areas.