Location: Local School, London, Ruislip (see map)
Travel: Ruislip station. The Oaks bus stop.
Start date: 13/01/2020 (ongoing)
What will I be doing?
- Pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds are 2.5 times less likely to gain access to university than those from high-income families. Join Team Up's growing movement and help us change this.
- As a participant on our Leadership programme, you will provide high-impact tuition to young people from low-income backgrounds, helping to tackle educational inequality in London. Equipped with full training and detailed resources, you will tutor a small group of pupils who are currently underperforming and provide them with the academic support, encouragement and inspiration they need to get back on track.
- Deliver weekly 60 - 90 minute tuition sessions in a local school.
- Use the resources provided to prepare inspiring lessons.
- Drive results by submitting and reflecting on performance data.
Team Up tutor delivering a primary school tuition session
What impact will this have?
- Meaningfully increase your pupils' academic grades: pupils on our 2017/18 programme showed, on average, 50% more improvement than the national average in English and Maths
- Improve your pupils' self -esteem: 87% of pupils agreed that they felt more confident in the subject in which they received tuition
- 75% of our tutors felt the programme made a difference to the young people they work with: “Thank you for creating such amazing opportunities for both students and tutors. [As a Team Up tutor] your hard work really makes a difference and it’s such a rewarding experience”
When are you needed?Options available:
|Morning||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Afternoon||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Evening||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
- This programme runs from January-April 2020.
- We are looking for volunteers who can commit for at least ten weeks, once a week.
What else do I need to know?
By joining this programme, you will join a growing and active community of people helping to create a fairer education system for young people in the UK and have the opportunity to develop your skills, enhance your employability and expand your professional networks:
- Receive an SSAT accredited leadership qualification upon successful completion of the programme
- Be invited to attend leadership seminars and networking events hosted by our partners
- Have the opportunity to gain a mentor from a career sector of interest, whether you’re looking to excel in your current profession or considering a career change
- Develop leadership, teaching and communication skills and be able to demonstrate these competencies to employers with real-life examples
We are looking for:
- Enthusiasm and strong grades (or relevant experience) in the subject you wish to tutor in
- Passionate individuals who are keen to support a growing movement to help tackle educational equality
- Committed to attend all sessions
- Excellent organisation, punctuality and time management skill
- Reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed upon presentation of receipts
- A DBS check is required
About the organisation:
What skills will be useful?
What skills can I gain?
- Youth work
- Full tutor-training, and the provision of detailed lesson plans and resources
- Ongoing coaching, training and support from an experienced teacher who will be assigned to support you over the course of the programme
- Lesson observations alongside personalised developmental feedback and logged classroom hours. A personalised reference from your programme manager can also be requested upon completion
Local School, London, Ruislip