Location: 134-138 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1LB (see map)
Travel: Borough station. Union Street bus stop.
Start date: 11/03/2019 (ongoing)
What will I be doing?
- We are looking for a fun and enthusiastic person to volunteer their time to support women and children within our Domestic Abuse Service to be more active.
- To facilitate regular fun informal sessions that gets families active. With a view for them to gain confidence, self -esteem and reduce social isolation
- Assisting professional instructors with classes or staff at group events.
- Collecting feedback and regularly communicating with service users on what activities they enjoy by engaging and motivating the families to participate.
- Support families to complete fitness based challenges and to try new things, enabling group members to improve their physical and mental wellbeing.
- Leading walks and visits to local parks
What impact will this have?
- Sport England have funded Hestia to run an innovative new programme supporting the health and fitness of children within our domestic abuse service. The project can cater for 5 to 17 year old children though will focus on those of primary school age.
- Research shows that children are more likely to maintain a healthy lifestyle if they see their own parents/carers themselves take part in regular exercise. This project will support mothers and children within our refuge service to take part in a range of different fitness and sports activities. It will also reinforce to parents the importance of modelling positive behaviours to their children in relation to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Last year we worked with more than 9,000 people, including victims of modern slavery, women and children who have experienced domestic abuse, young care leavers and older people. From giving someone a home to helping them to get the right mental health support, we support and enable people at the moment of crisis.
When are you needed?Options available:
|Morning||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Afternoon||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Evening||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
- Monday - Friday between 46 Weekly or fortnightly as agreed or flexible times during school holidays.
What else do I need to know?
- In 2016/2017 we have held a total of 62 training sessions covering Steps into Employment; CV Writing, Interviews, Applications and Cover Letters, Assertiveness and Confidence Building, Creative Writing, Mental Health Awareness, the law and First Aid, Suicide and Self Harm Awareness, Professional Boundaries, Empathy, Safeguarding Adults and Children, Substance Misuse, LGBTQ Awareness, Manual handling, Listening Skills, Motivation Interviewing, Sexual Health and Ethnicity, FGM, HIV, Working with Victims of Domestic Abuse and Sexual Assault, Mindfulness, Recovery Approach and Co -Production, Group Facilitation Skills and Social Media and Cyber Bullying.
- Hestia reimburses all travel within London and also £5 towards lunch.
- A DBS check is required
About the organisation:
What skills will be useful?
What skills can I gain?
- We invite all our volunteers to our forum where You will be updated with the latest developments and changes in the organisation, provide you with details of the upcoming opportunities and events that are available to all our volunteers, along with providing a space for you to share your volunteering experiences.
- Not only will you receive an individual induction from the service, volunteering for Hestia opens up doors to our extensive face to face and E -learning programmes.
- At times we have other exciting opportunities for you to get involved with such as the BBC Singers, Equality and Diversity Groups, The Hestia Approach consultations and much more.
134-138 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1LB