Location: IWM London, London, SE1 6HZ (see map)
Travel: Lambeth North station. St George's Road / Imperial War Museum bus stop.
Start date: 01/10/2019 (ongoing)
What will I be doing?
- Undertake research and assessment of film, sound and photographic material to help curators shape the final content of the galleries
Assist in the research of IWM’s and other institutions’ archives and collections on a number of different historical themes and events
Assist in the compilation of asset lists, the documentation of findings, maintenance of records and files as appropriate
Assist with a range of other general administrative support tasks
- Work in accordance with Health and Safety guidelines and comply with relevant risk assessments
Concept Image of new galleries
What impact will this have?
- In 2021, the Imperial War Museum will open new permanent Second World War Galleries. The galleries will reposition IWM’s traditional remit of Britain and the Empire within a broader, global picture to make the story of the Second World War more relevant to twenty-first century visitors.
- The galleries will feature a variety of interpretive approaches, including objects, 2D material, interactive experiences, immersive spaces and large- and small-scale multimedia pieces. These multimedia screens will carry parts of the exhibition narrative, allowing visitors to view contemporaneous film and photographs that give greater meaning to the wider context they sit within.
- We are looking for a volunteer to assist with the development and delivery of multimedia content. The role will involve the research of diverse archive and collection materials for film, sound and photographs.
When are you needed?Options available:
|Morning||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Afternoon||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Evening||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
We are seeking a volunteer who is available at least one day per week, Monday to Friday. We are seeking your regular commitment to make the most out of this role and the training provided to you and to give you enough time to put this into practice/action.
- Recommended volunteer hours are 10.00 to 16.00 including a morning briefing.
What else do I need to know?
An interest in IWM’s subject and mission
Careful, methodical approach to work
Ability to use Microsoft Office – particularly Word and Excel
Experience navigating digital archives OR ability to quickly pick up new digital skills
Confident in English spelling and grammar
Self-motivated, positive and friendly with a confident outlook
Experience of or a desire to learn more about museums/exhibitions/archives
Interest in film, sound and photography
- Volunteers are offered £10 per week towards travel expenses. This is for incurred expenses only and will be reimbursed on completion of an expense form and receipts. (Conditions apply)
- A DBS check is required
About the organisation:
What skills will be useful?
- Entertainment and music
- Team working
What skills can I gain?
- Team working
- You will be given training on how to utilise the IWM Photo Archive and IWM Film Archive.
- A volunteer induction
- Introduction to Adlib (IWM’s Collections Management System)
IWM London, London, SE1 6HZ