Location: 27 Longley Road , Tooting Broadway, SW179LA (see map)
Travel: Tooting Broadway station. Longley Road bus stop.
Start date: Ongoing
What will I be doing?
- Prior to arrival the group will have received a schedule for the session with a brief note explaining who they should expect to meet and providing information on how the day will run. Depending on the candidates who attend the session, it may be necessary to provide a short training module on what information should be included in a disclosure. If candidates with unspent criminal convictions are expected to attend, this will be included in the written brief also. There will be time for questions as this point also.
- Volunteers and candidates will participate in a fun ice-breaker or two. This helps to warm up the room and settle any nerves!
- Volunteers will facilitate a series of mock speed interviews lasting approximately 20 minutes. Volunteers will be provided with the relevant candidates CV and a suggested questions list as well as sample job/person specs relevant to each candidate.
- Interviewers will provide an honest assessment of a candidates performance during the interview. It is important that the interviewer notes both the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate at this point. This is also an opportunity to give practical advice for improvement. Advice will cover all manner of areas from how to shake a persons hand to what constitutes appropriate interview attire to how to answer a competency based question to how to disclose a conviction or explain a career break.
- Group debrief - we use this to reflect on how the session went, what people learned from and enjoyed about the session. Volunteers are encouraged to reflect on their own experience in the same way candidates will. This is always the best part of the session as volunteers tend to give really inspiring and motivational feedback and tend to see a significant change in the candidates - they will be more relaxed, more confident and buzzing from all the positive feedback given as part of the process!
- With our candidates permission, you will receive an update on their progress at key milestones for the individual (interview, job offer, job start). It is important that our volunteers understand the impact of their work and this is a great way to show the impact of your work with our wonderful candidates.
Mike, Care Leaver Quote
What impact will this have?
- Increasing confidence of candidates in preparation for upcoming interviews.
- Creating a sense of community so that candidates feel supported in their journey (back) to into the world of work.
- Candidates are better prepared for the specific roles they wish to secure.
When are you needed?Options available:
|Morning||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Afternoon||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
|Evening||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available|
- Numerous 3 hour episodic group volunteering opportunities available. Suitable for in-house HR teams, hiring managers and agency recruiters
- Please note the volunteering would take place in a community venue in London or at your office, which ever is preferable/more suitable.
What else do I need to know?
- Our conversion rate (from interview to job offer) is significantly better when candidates receive tailored support like mock interviews. We provide a safe space for our candidates to fail fast, learn and iterate so that when it comes to attending an interview, they are equipped with the tools and confidence required to give their best performance on the day.
- The sessions are facilitated by our Founder who is on hand to support, trouble shoot and debrief. You will not be thrown in the deep end and expected to swim. These are fun and interactive sessions which are mutually beneficial for both volunteers and candidates. You should walk away having learned something new, met someone you wouldn't usually encounter and hopefully, feel like you have done something meaningful with your afternoon.
- Please check your unconscious bias at the door, bring an open mind and be ready to work! Candidates are expected to come prepared and ready to be 'put through their paces'. They are asked to treat the mock interviews as if they were real which means no phones or other distractions. We ask that our volunteers do the same.
- No background checks are required
About the organisation:
What skills will be useful?
- Advice and support
- Youth work
- Human Resources
What skills can I gain?
- Advice and support
- Team working
- Youth work
27 Longley Road , Tooting Broadway, SW179LA