Location: Islington, Southwark, Lambeth , London, N1 (see map)
Travel: Old Street station. Bevenden Street bus stop.
Start date: 02/06/2020 (ongoing)
What will I be doing?
- Weekly sessions are planned by the mentor and should consist of fun and engaging 'problem -free' time away from the child's home and school. During Covid-19 this will be done via phone calls and video calls.
- While the mentoring takes place via online platforms, there are lots of fun activities you can do with your child such as quizzes, making fun stories, paying games, creating art and lots more.
- As a mentor, You will play an important role in helping your matched child achieve personal goals, gain self -confidence, develop more positive relationships and build social and emotional skills.
- Mentors and children also attend groups on some programmes - a great opportunity to help children benefit from fun sessions which develop social and emotional skills.
Chance UK Mentor
What impact will this have?
- Volunteers will help children with emotional or behavioural challenges and to build their self-esteem and confidence. Mentors and children also attend groups sessions via zoom on some programmes - a great opportunity to help children benefit from fun sessions which develop social and emotional skills.
- Evidence shows that a relationship with a trusted adult can be a strong protective factor for children and can help children avoid risky situations and overcome adversity.
- Children are able to develop and improve their social and emotional skills through their time with their mentor. These are important protective factors and help reduce risk of challenging outcomes later in life.
- "I've tried lots of different things with Marie and I've learned how to deal better with feelings like taking deep breaths, being more patient and walking away. My attitude has changed. Now I get into less trouble because I spend more time thinking about things" (Mentored Child).
When are you needed?Options available:
|Morning||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is not available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available|
|Afternoon||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available|
|Evening||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available||This time slot is available|
- Mentors will need to be able to remotely volunteer two to four hours every week with their matched child for 9 - 12 months (to be done via online platforms during Covid-19). These weekly sessions are fun and great chance to learn about new things and help boost self-esteem. These weekly sessions will be planned by you, but you will receive guidance and support from a programme manager.
- Please take this level of commitment into consideration before applying. Being able to offer consistency and stability to the children we work with is of utmost importance; these children need to know you'll be there for them each week.
What else do I need to know?
- You will need to provide two Professional/Academic references, compete the training and an informal interview before being matched with a child. DBS (police) checks are mandatory for all volunteers. Chance UK will cover the cost of this. .
- We welcome volunteers from all walks of life. You don't need any specific qualifications or experiences to become a mentor.
- We are looking for individuals who are dedicated, resourceful and committed. If you're prepared to turn up each week with a positive attitude for your matched child, to listen and support them with the challenges they face - then we would love to hear from you!.
- Chance UK provides volunteers with a monthly budget to cover the costs of the weekly mentoring sessions. We also reimburse travel expenses up to £40 a month with valid receipts.
- A DBS check is required
About the organisation:
What skills will be useful?
- Youth work
What skills can I gain?
- Entertainment and music
- Team working
- Youth work
- You'll receive comprehensive mentor training that will prepare you for success and you'll have the support of a Chance UK programme manager throughout the mentoring year.
- Training will be completed remotely through independent learning and a 2 hours group sessions via zoom to introduce to solutions focused methods as well as safeguarding helps prepare mentors to build and develop the positive relationship with their child.
- Monthly supervisions with a progamme manager at Chance UK helps Mentors feel they have the support they need to make the year run smoothly.
Islington, Southwark, Lambeth , London, N1