Organisation aims / mission / values
- We believe that every refugee in London can fulfill their potential and integrate into their new home through employment that matches their skills, experience, and aspirations.
- Breaking Barriers is a charity whose mission is to help refugees in London acquire the knowledge, confidence and experience to get stable, fulfilling employment. We give a central role to businesses, involving them directly in finding employment solutions and providing support that get refugees into work.
- We give a central role to businesses, involving them directly in finding employment solutions for refugees. We partner directly with businesses who provide work experience placements and deliver skills-based workshops for refugees to gain vital work experience and develop the skills they need to secure long-term employment.
- We offer intensive, personalised one-to-one employment support on a weekly basis in three primary sites, Clapham Junction, Shoreditch and Hammersmith, with additional support also offered in partnership with organisations in Croydon, Balham and Ladbroke Grove.
- Our Education programme provides tailored English language support and training courses that can increase your employability and help prepare you for entering the workplace. We provide small group classes led by trained teachers and supported by enthusiastic teaching assistants. Our goal is for you to both learn new skills and feel confident using them.
Blue letters say "Breaking Barriers, integrating refugees through employment"
How we deliver these aimsWe offer one-to-one, personalised, employment support to refugees seeking to rebuild their life in the UK. Our employment and integration advisers and volunteers will work with you on writing your cv, applying for jobs and preparing for interviews. Our English and Training courses will help you to prepare for your first day on the job. From English for Work, to Customer Service to IT and Numeracy training, our courses are tailored to provide you the skills you need to succeed in a UK workplace. Clients who would benefit from experience in the UK job market are offered a work placement with one of our corporate partners, as well as access to other training and mentoring schemes if a client would benefit from it.
Who benefits from our workThe UK is home to over 121,000 refugees approximately and there are over 40,000 pending asylum cases, with over 20,000 new applications every year. The unemployment rate for refugees in London is about 70%. Participation in the labour market is seen as the most important factor favouring long term integration into society. The UK currently has no national strategy to aid the transition of refugees into the labour market, but instead relies on NGOs and community-based charities to provide specific and tailored refugee employment services.
WeWork, 1 Mark Square, London, EC2A 4EG