Stronger Communities Fund
Now open for applications
The Stronger Communities Fund is part of the Mayor's Sport Unites programme. This is part of the Mayor's vision to make London the most active and socially integrated city in the world.
This is a one-year rolling programme so you can apply at any time before 15 May 2020 for funding between £2,000 and £5,000.
Grants will be available for projects that use sport and physical activity to bring Londoners together from different backgrounds, cultures and faiths, as well as helping isolated and lonely Londoners feel better connected in their communities.
The Stronger Communities Fund will support not-for-profit, small or informal organisations and groups, as well as individuals who often find it harder to access funding.
What types of projects are you looking for?
We are looking to invest in projects which help to improve social integration across London. We are looking for projects which use sport and physical activity to work towards at least one of the following outcomes:
- build relationships between Londoners from different backgrounds - we're interested in projects which regularly bring different groups of people in the community together to help build relationships, reduce any negative stereotyping between these groups, and increase trust in communities
- reduce isolation and loneliness - sport and physical activity can be a great tool to engage socially isolated groups. We're interested in projects which build people's confidence and help them feel better supported in the community.
We cannot fund projects which aim only to increase participation in sport.
How much can I apply for?
You can apply for grants of between £2,000 and £5,000 for projects that are delivered within 12 weeks. This is a one-year rolling programme so you can apply at any time before 15 May 2020.
Who can apply?
Applications will be accepted from both organisations and individuals or informal groups. If you are applying as an individual or informal group, you will need a referee to support your application and accept the funds on your behalf.
- My project is longer than 12 weeks, can I still apply?
To qualify for this fund, all successful projects will need to be delivered within 12 weeks
- Can I deliver a pan-London project or a project with wider stakeholder focus?
We strongly advise our applicants to specify who their target audience are, why they are targetting this group, and why that specific activity has been selected for the group. Consultation is important and it is preferable to demonstrate evidence of consultation with/demand from the group(s) involved.
- How much information do you expect to find in an application?
Please provide a strong description of the activities you plan to run. This should illustrate service user's journey and be cohesive with the project. This should be included in the "Tell us about your project" part. Please also provide a reasonable budget breakdown, including refreshments and marketing allowance if relevant.
- What do you mean by project legacy/impact?
Strong applications always consider the journey of their participants after the project and the support available to them. We would love to know how your project has taken this into consideration.
- I am already running an activity with a cohort of participants, can I still apply?
If you apply with an existing project, you will need to ensure and evidence targetting new participants.
Apply for funding
The Stronger Communities Fund is now open for applications. Before applying, read our background to the fund and download the application form and accompanying guidance to give yourself the best chance of being funded.
The Stronger Communities Fund is a one-year rolling programme. You can apply at any time before 15 May 2020.