Active Londoners funding is a key part of the Mayor’s Sport Unites programme. The fund tackles inactivity by supporting individuals and organisations who use sport and other kinds of physical activity to improve the physical and mental health of Londoners.
Active Londoners offers small and medium-sized grants for localised sport and physical activity projects.
Active Londoners – now open for applications
The first round of Active Londoners funding is now open.
Funding will be awarded as grants of different sizes – depending on the scale of your project and how long it runs for. Active Londoners provides small and medium grants of:
- up to £5,000 for a small local project or event that will take up to 12 weeks to complete
- between £25,000 and £75,000 for a larger project that will take up to 12 months to complete.
Applications close at 12 noon on Thursday 28 February 2019.
Depending on the funding you need for your project, you can apply as an individual or an organisation. The main thing is that you plan to use sport to get Londoners active to improve their physical and/or mental health.
Active Londoners supports both individuals and organisations with established track records and those who are new to community sport. We are looking for initiatives that:
- provide convenient, affordable, local participation opportunities for Londoners in places where demand outdoes supply
- help specific groups of Londoners who are inactive, and specifically address the barriers they face to being active
- support Londoners with mental health difficulties. We designate a portion of our funding to projects that use sport and physical activity to help people deal with, overcome, or foster greater understanding of mental health difficulties. These include depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety or issues caused by addiction and/or substance abuse.
There is great inequality between the boroughs of London when it comes to rates of physical activity. But, the Mayor believes that your postcode shouldn’t determine your chance of leading a healthy life. Enter Active Londoners funding.
This initiative offers a powerful opportunity to get all Londoners active. Active Londoners aims to improve the physical and mental health of all Londoners – especially those who were inactive before taking part in the Sport Unites programme.
Whatever our age, being physically active helps us lead healthier lives. A summary of evidence can be found on the Sport England website.
We will be hosting roadshows around London to offer advice and guidance on applying for Active Londoners.
Applications close at 12 noon on Thursday 28 February 2019. Please do not rush your application and read the guidance notes thoroughly to give yourself the best chance of being funded.