Learning from London’s high streets
This report shares the knowledge and experience of City Hall’s regeneration team. The team are involved in improving high streets through the Outer London Fund and the Mayor’s High Street 2012 programme.
In seven short essays and six project case studies, the report shows the importance of:
- long term stewardship in coordinating change on the high street
- developing a strategic overview to bring different stakeholders together
- building a close relationship between the community and those responsible for change
- finding fresh ways of promoting existing local amenities
- using existing cultural resources to kick start wider programmes for change
- attracting new visitors through high quality shop front design and visual merchandising
The report also offers specific recommendations for local communities and businesses, and local councils on how to improve their high street.