Richmond upon Thames College were awarded £30,581,848 from the Mayor’s Further Education Capital Fund which is from the Government's Growth Deal and allocated through the LEAP, to provide the modernisation and development of fit-for-purpose further education facilities. This investment is supporting the renewal and rationalisation of the estate by creating an outstanding new campus for education, skills and enterprise. It co-locates a completely new further education facility alongside a new free school, a special needs school and a ‘technology hub’ operated by a global media company.
Richmond Upon Thames College: Campus for skills and enterprise
How does this show what we're looking for?
- creating new education facilities, including e-enabled spaces for business innovation linked to high priority vocational learning centres in key areas such as digital media, IT, retail, finance, hospitality, creative, health and wellbeing
- supporting learners and their progress into employment; engaging students who are not in employment, education or training (NEET); increasing apprenticeship enrolments and offering higher level apprenticeships, and supporting students with learning difficulties and disabilities
This project demonstrates best practice because:
- the college will develop modern facilities to provide high-quality teaching spaces (both generic and specialist) and an innovative learning environment. The first phase will also deliver a state-of-the-art sports hall and two 4G pitches for use by the students, in partnership with local rugby clubs
- it will deliver a new industry-led STEM centre to complete the second phase development for an outstanding campus for further education, skills and enterprise. This will deliver high-quality priority specialisms, including new technologies for low carbon and electrical vehicle testing, applied medical sciences, advanced engineering technologies, and new construction skills
- partial funding for the project was provided through sale of land to a residential developer to build affordable homes for Londoners