The Mayor published the Town Centres Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) on 8 July 2014.
What guidance does the SPG provide?
To support the policies in the London Plan this SPG includes guidance on:
- supporting the evolution and diversification of town centres
- delivering mixed use housing intensification
- quality matters
- promoting accessibility and connectivity
- town centre regeneration and initiatives
- proactive town centre strategies
- strategic Outer London Development Centre implementation guidelines
Which London Plan policies does the document provide guidance on?
The Town Centres SPG provides guidance on London Plan policy 2.15, its associated Annex 2, Policy 2.16 on Strategic Outer London Development Centres and other policies in the Plan with specific reference to town centre development and management, such as:
- Policy 4.2 on office development
- Policy 4.5 and 4.6 on arts, culture, entertainment and visitor infrastructure
- Policy 4.7 and 4.8 relating to retail development
- Policy 4.9 on small shops
- Policies in Chapter 3 on housing and social infrastructure
- Policies in Chapter 5 on response to climate change
- Policies in Chapter 6 on transport, and
- Policies in Chapter 7 on places, spaces and inclusive design.