City Hall exterior


How to make a complaint.

The Mayor and the Deputy Mayor for Policing & Crime

Both the Mayor as Occupant of the Mayor's Office for Policing And Crime and the Deputy Mayor for Policing & Crime are subject to the code of conduct for GLA members.

Detailed information about the GLA complaints procedure can be found on the member complaints page.

Vexatious correspondence and complaints

We aim to deal with all correspondence and complaints equitably, but there will be occasions when individuals make unreasonable demands of MOPAC by way of correspondence or complaints.

Our policy on dealing with abusive, persistent and vexatious correspondence and complaints outlines the circumstances when we may decline to investigate a correspondence or complaint.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner/Chief Constable

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner is accountable to Mayor’s Office for Policing And Crime (MOPAC) for the delivery of efficient and effective policing, management of resources and expenditure.

Expectations about the conduct of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner are set out in the Standards of the Professional Behaviour. These expectations include requirements to:

  • act with Honesty and Integrity
  • treat members of the public and their colleagues with Respect and Courtesy
  • not abuse powers and authority
  • act with fairness and impartiality
  • act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service

If you feel that the Metropolitan Police Commissioner has not met these standards, you can make a complaint.

MOPAC is the appropriate Authority that deals with complaints against the Commissioner. Should you wish to make a complaint against the individual conduct of the Commissioner please write to MOPAC outlining the nature of your complaint.

Please note that MOPAC is not able to intervene directly in complaints about the conduct of Metropolitan Police Officers below the rank of Commissioner as these complaints are the responsibility of the Metropolitan Police Service.

The best way to make a complaint is to write to us at the address below or email [email protected]. You can also complain by using the online form on the IPCC website.

If you prefer, someone can make a complaint on your behalf, but you must give your permission in writing for them to do this.

Police officers and police staff

If you have a complaint about specific incidents with the police, you should first of all make the complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service so they can carry out a local investigation. You can do this by raising a complaint with the Metropolitan Police Service either online or by post to:

Department of Professional Standards
Complaints and Satisfaction Team
22nd Floor, Empress State Building
Lillie Road
London SW6 1TR

You can also visit any police station to complain or you can complain by using the online form on the IPCC website. Forms are also available to download, complete and email or to print off, complete by hand and post to the Metropolitan Police Service.

If you prefer, someone can make a complaint on your behalf, but you must give your permission in writing for them to do this

If you wish to make a complaint via telephone, please call 101; Minicom 020 8785 8666; Textrelay no: 18001 is available for deaf and hard of hearing.

Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)

Alternatively, you can make your complaint directly to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). The IPCC ensures that suitable arrangements are in place for dealing with complaints against the police in England and Wales, and for dealing with serious failings even where no complaint has been made.

The IPCC investigates only the most serious cases and the local force will usually handle complaints. However, a member of the public can appeal to the IPCC about the outcome of their local complaint.

You can raise a complaint with the IPCC online or by post to:

Independent Police Complaints Commission
PO Box 473
M33 0BW

Alternatively you can raise complaints by telephone: 0300 020 0096 (press 1 at prompt - 9.00am - 5.00pm).

Please note that any appeals to an existing complaint should be made directly to the IPCC. The Mayor has no involvement with this process.