Better Boilers for winter warmth
If you’re a homeowner on benefits and your boiler is inefficient or broken, we will replace or repair it for free.
Better Boilers, Mayor Sadiq Khan's £1m scheme to help people stay warm and save on their energy bills this winter, launched on 9 January 2017.
To be eligible you must:
The scheme is first come, first served, so get in early to avoid disappointment.
How to apply
You will need some information to hand when you make your application.
So, before you apply, please find out:
- whether your boiler is gas, oil, LPG or solid fuel, and its make and model
- if your boiler is in working order (rather than broken), whether it is 85-per cent efficient or below (typically at least ten years old). You can find out the efficiency level of your boiler on this website
- which benefits you receive.
When you apply, you will need to give us the following information:
- confirmation that you own the home that you’re living in
- some information about your inefficient or broken boiler (see Step 1 above)
- details of the benefits you receive.
If you aren't able to apply online because you don't have access to the internet, please phone us on 0808 108 9414.
Once we receive your application, we’ll check that you’re eligible for the scheme. We'll check your details using the Land Registry’s property ownership database and Department for Work and Pensions benefit records.
We’ll then email to let you know if you’re eligible. If you are, we’ll tell you when you can expect your boiler replacement or repair.
We’ll ask Ecologic Energy, the company that will be doing repairs and installations, to contact you.
Ecologic Energy, the company that will do the repair or installation, will contact you to arrange a visit to your home, to see what needs to be done.
In some cases, the boiler will be replaced or repaired during the first visit. In others, the company may need to come back another time to do the work.
If your boiler is broken, we will repair it if it makes financial sense to do so. Otherwise, we'll replace it.
All replacements will be high efficiency, ultra-low NOx condensing boilers.
Where appropriate, we will provide new thermostats or boiler controls and thermostatic radiator valves - for both replacement and repaired boilers.
Once the work has been done, we will pay the company that has replaced or repaired your boiler.
Eligibility for the scheme
1. Your property must be in London
2. You must be the homeowner and live in the property
3. You must be in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
- Working Tax Credit (and your income is £16,010 or less)
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit (and you earned £1,250 or less after tax in any assessment period in the last 12 months)
For some of the above benefits, extra conditions may apply.
4. Your current boiler must be the main boiler used to heat your home and:
- if it is in working order, an 85-per cent or below efficient gas, oil, LPG or solid fuel boiler (typically at least ten years old). You can find out the efficiency level of your boiler on this website
- if it is broken, a gas, oil, LPG or solid fuel boiler of any age or level of efficiency.