Healthy Early Years London resources
The Healthy Early Years London award programme includes 12 themes for improving children's health, wellbeing and development.
Resources, including support materials and template policies, are available across these themes:
Including breastfeeding and starting solid food
- Child weight management: short conversations with families
- Eat better, start better - a practical guide.
- Eating Well Sustainably: A Guide for Early Years Settings (PDF 1.1MB)
- Change4Life: helpful food swaps and tips from NHS Choices
- Change4Life Food Scanner app: see the sugar, fat, salt and calories in popular foods and drinks (Apple or Android)
- Early Start Nutrition Team - online training offer
- Islington Early Years Health and Wellbeing resources: Maternity and breastfeeding, Starting solid food, Healthy eating and Healthy Start scheme and welfare support
- Veg Power Campaign: Eat them to defeat them: Veg Power website, Social Media toolkit and infographics.
- Taste ‘n’ Tell Discovering Food Programme: Sign up for free pilot programme.
- Natural Hydration Council Factsheet on Early Years hydration.
Including physical development and reducing sedentary behaviour
- SSEHS Active Fact Sheets
- Start active, stay active: infographics on physical activity
- 10 Minute Shake Ups
- Early Movers practitioner training
- Screen time and young children: Promoting health and development in a digital world
- Practical ideas for physically active play
- Help your baby move and play every day
- Help your child move and play every day
- Child weight management services: systematic review
- Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for the Early Years (0-4 years)
- Start active, stay active: report on physical activity in the UK
- Every child a mover
- Every Child a Mover: A practical guide to providing young children with the physical opportunities they need on physical activity in the UK
- Children’s Traffic Club London (CTCL)
- Early Years Physical Literacy Framework
- Youth Sport Trust training and resources
- Video commissioned by Camden Council Integrated Early Years: Moving, Learning and Growing
- Pre-school Learning Alliance resource: Moving Right from the Start
- Islington Early Years Health and Wellbeing resources: Physical activity and Sleep
- Active Movement website and resources
- Movement Environment Rating Scale (MOVERS)
Parent and staff health concerns
Other themes include:
- Early cognitive development
- Parenting and home learning
- Home safety, accident prevention and reducing injuries
Please contact [email protected] if there are additional resources you would like to recommend for the website.