Internationally registered nurse

What does registration with the NMC involve?

If you are a registered nurse overseas and want to work as a Registered Nurses in the UK, you must register with the Nursing Midwifery Council (NMC) UK.

Entry on the register as a nurse (adult, child, learning disability or mental health), as a midwife or as a Specialist Community Public Health Nurse is possible but you must demonstrate that you meet the NMC standards for the role/roles you are applying to register for.

Overseas general nurses usually apply for adult nursing registration.

There is one process if you are an EU/EEA-registered nurse, and one process is you are a non-EU-registered nurse.

How much does it cost?

EU/EEA-registered - fees are set by the Nursing Midwifery Council

Non-EU-registered - fees are set by the Nursing Midwifery Council

In addition, you will need to pay Visa and immigration costs.

How long does it take?

The NMC aim to process applications within 70 days.

If you're a non-EU international nurse, you have up to six months to complete the process.

Entry requirements

You must:

  • have evidence of English language proficiency
  • have successfully completed 10 years of school education preceding a nurse training programme
  • have a health declaration
  • provide employer references
  • have character evidence – police clearance certificate or DBS in UK


More information

What next?

You will continue to progress your career as a nurse, and be able to access the many learning and development opportunities available.

Opportunities for you to work in child, learning disability or mental health nursing may be available to you depending on your health and social care experience.

Share this page