Settled Status application checklist

In some cases it may be difficult to prove five years of continuous residence in the UK. The government’s own electronic records are known to be incomplete and might only cover recent years. It is also possible that, due to life circumstances, some people may not have any electronic records on the government’s systems. Either way, it will be useful to make sure that you keep as much evidence of your time in the UK as possible.

If there is not enough information held on national databases, such as HMRC or DWP, you will be asked for further evidence to prove your continuous residence. We have compiled a list of documents and information which may be useful when you make your application for Settled Status or pre-Settled Status.

  • Make sure you and your family’s passports or National ID cards are still valid for a good while after Brexit Day (31st October 2019)
  • If you haven’t got a passport or an ID card, or if it is about to expire, make an appointment with your embassy or consulate to apply for a new document as soon as possible
  • If you have not done so yet, you may wish to consider registering with your embassy or consulate
  • If you have not done so yet, register with your Council on the local electoral register
  • Keep all council tax and utility bills – water, gas, electricity, TV licence and mainline phone (mobile phone bills are not accepted) – which have your name on them
  • If your name is not on any council tax and utility bills, you may wish to consider getting it added now if possible – find out more about responsibilities for paying bills in your name
  • If you have made any name changes recently, make sure that the name on bills, payslips etc. matches the name on your passport or ID
  • Track down old and keep current rental and tenancy agreements, or mortgage agreements  
  • Keep any payslips, P45s and P60s 
  • Keep bank and building society statements, preferably annual ones   
  • Keep old and current employment contracts
  • Keep any letters from employers, confirming the period of your employment; letters from accredited course/education providers, schools/colleges; letters from a registered care home
  • Keep any communication with government departments (for example letters from HMRC, DWP, NHS, DVLA, Housing Benefits
  • Keep any domestic bills, for example, for insurance, veterinary bills or home services/repairs, that have your name on them
  • Do not throw away anything else that could be used to prove that you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years or more (the longer the better)

Share this page