Stebon Primary School 2019/20
What problems were in your school and how did you identify them?
- Very low outcomes at the end of KS2
- Culturally low expectations of what pupils from deprived communities could achieve
- Run down premises
- Demotivated staff & de-skilled leadership
What actions did you take?
- set out our vision & made sure everyone felt like they wanted to be part of that journey towards excellence
- energised existing staff & attracted new people who wanted to make a difference
- put children at the heart of our decisions
- developed an exciting, relevant themed curriculum that children love
- carried out 3 phases of refurbishment over 4 years
- grew an inclusion team to include a school-based social worker, family engagement officer, speech & language therapist & learning mentor - focused on early identification & intervention
- introduced a bespoke leadership development programme focusing on coaching & mentoring. All staff have a line manager with whom they meet weekly
- re-focused staff on quality first teaching & assessment for learning
What were the outcomes?
Despite very low starting points, 80% of pupils achieved the expected standard combined at KS2. The national average was 64%.