Applegarth Academy 2019/20
What problems were in your school and how did you identify them?
The school needed a more focused approach. There was a high turnover of staff and low attainment within the school.
What actions did you take?
- A new headteacher was brought in who had a clear vision for the direction of the school, and immediately implemented strategies to aid the school. He created a leadership team who shared his vision.
- A strategic decision was made to adopt a more collaborative approach to learning and a new literacy strategy was installed. Expectations of what children from a deprived area could achieve was immediately raised, which teachers under this new clear vision embraced.
- A programme for children whose emotional development had been affected, due to varying factors, was introduced. This and the adoption of Philosophy for Children, allowed for the development of pupil voice and for them to be involved in the direction of the school.
What were the outcomes?
- KS2 Reading 93% Writing 90% Maths 93%
- KS2 90% combined
- KS1 Reading 76% Writing 74% Maths 76%